CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

Against all odds, Royce's impressive driving skills ensured we reached our destination safely, even with me as a somewhat worse-for-wear passenger.

The man is a phenomenal driver, objectively, or maybe I am biased. In any case, a slightly less high-octane form of travel is in order next time.

Nonetheless, given my prior experience with a critical car accident, such a choice of transportation in a less-than-optimal state seemed inadvisable for future endeavours, as it was probably foolish to tempt fate twice.

Luckily for both of us, I sobered up pretty quickly when the two-wheeled monster accelerated and blasted the night's cold air in my face--a wake-up call and an unanticipated facelift. I am pretty sure my eyebrows flew off back in the south.

Beyond the unnerving blanket of darkness, the beach itself was the real source of my unease. Unlike the rest of the coastline with those picture-perfect postcards of powdery white sands and azure waters stretching as far as the eye can see, this beach was a far cry from paradise. Its shoreline was a grotesque blend of pebbles and coarse, grey sand, punctuated by dark igneous rock formations, as if the nearby quarry had spat them out and rejected them in disdain.

Royce walked purposefully on the pebbled beach, his strides so long that I had to jog to keep up. The rhythmic sound of ocean waves crashing against the shore filled the air with a salty scent as he led us towards the eastern direction, where the looming cliffs of the quarry stood tall and imposing, their once-lush green colour now barren and scarred from years of mining and excavation.

My heart raced with trepidation, causing me to halt abruptly. Though I had a measure of trust in Royce, the thought of being alone with him in the desolate quarry at midnight filled me with unease. In such a secluded and eerie location, anything could transpire without a trace or witness.

Royce noticed I had stopped following him and paused, facing me with a sigh of annoyance. "Liv," he said impatiently, urging me to catch up. "What's the hold-up? We need to keep moving."

"What could possibly lure your brother to this side of town at this ungodly hour?" I gazed at him, then focused on the vast ocean and the ominous quarry. "Something feels off. I am not going any further."

Royce blinked that slow, exaggerated blink that screamed disbelief. "Suit yourself, babe. You can be Miss Independent down here, holding court with the bike while I go and save the day." He chuckled, backing away with a mock salute. "I'm sure those fine gentlemen stumbling out of that charming brothel across the street will keep you company."

My body went rigid like a startled cat. Brothel? Did I hear that right? My eyes became swivels, desperately scanning for a neon sign or a seedy-looking bouncer. Royce better be pulling my leg because there was no way I was setting up camp outside a place where people received money for intimate favours that should not come with a price tag.

"Just be warned," he shouted over one shoulder, his boots hitting the grey sand as he powered forward. "I hear those punters can get a little handsy after a good session."

I may not be the most intelligent person, but I am not a complete idiot, either. I can see through his attempt to frighten me. With that thought in mind, I turned back towards the bike. Being here, where there is some form of life nearby, is preferable to being trapped in the quarry.

With my arms wrapped around me to shield against the chilly air, I pressed my back against the motorcycle, catching my breath and inhaling some fresh ocean air. I could no longer make out Royce's figure as he disappeared into the darkness of the beach. I guess he had no qualms about leaving me behind.

In the distance, I spotted a faint glow emanating from an alleyway nestled between two dilapidated buildings. Could it possibly be the rumoured brothel? No, I refused to let my thoughts wander down that dark path and turned my attention back to the ocean, where the serene waves lapped against the shore.