Prologue

He ran as fast as his feet could carry him.

He could taste blood in his mouth.

His heart in his ear.

He couldn't die here.
Die now.
He wouldn't-they were counting on him.

"This is the Laughing Magician?"
It's laughter pierced through his head.
"The universe's greatest joke!"

He had the tools needed.
He knew what must be done.

He had but one shot at this.

"Come out Hellblazer!"
The voice sang through the air.
"Meet your unmaker!"

Despite him struggling to breath, not a force of Heaven nor Hell could've stopped his eyes from rolling-for while the voice was menacing and reverberated, it was also farther.

He ducked around a corner, the church's alter lit by moonbeam and candlelight.

He could make it.

He could do this.

They were counting on him.

He couldn't let them-
"There you are..."
-down.

"Constantine!"

John jolted awake, flinching from the hand at his shoulder.

"Jesus bloody-what?!"

Tristan's slightly shown concern was replaced with exasperation.

"'What?'-Constantine, we were supposed to be in Diagon Alley an hour ago."
He pushed up his rectangular glasses.
"I keep telling you to not stay up all night reading!" He picked one of John's volumes up from the floor, shaking it with distaste after skimming a few pages. "This will fill your head up with nonsense. 'Ancient Gods' and 'Hell's Circle'?"

"Oh like your preferences are better?"
The mage snatched the book back, an eye twitching with irritation.
"Need I remind you again of last year's 'Great Scandal'?"

The young auror grimaced.
"And what? Listen to your 100th 'I Told You So'? I'm good, thanks."

John snorted as he tossed the few books on the side of him towards his nightstand, stretching out his back as he stood up.

Tristan made his way towards the bedroom door.

"I'll put together something to eat so you best hurry; I want to get your supplies and still have daylight."

John's quick-witted response was to stick out his tongue.

"Constantine,"
His caretaker scoffed as he left.
"You're impossible."

Despite his tone, the man's fondness shown through.

The blond shook his head with a small grin, rummaging his dresser for clean clothes.

"Not the first to say so~"

He tossed them over the bed and made his way towards Astra's cage, opening both it and the window.

The Great Horned owl nuzzled his digits before taking flight, eager to release her pent up energy.

John grabbed the red tie laying on his desk, brown hues catching sight of something.

Fingers captured the bone-white object, the other hand then dangling it by the dark string tied around it.

His Basilisk fang.

Charmed and spellbound to the teeth.

Literally.

It's the best piece he's made in a good while. With a little thought into it, the tooth from one of this world's most dangerous beasts had turned into a makeshift weapon.

The once deadly venom cleaned out and in a way diluted into a paralysis compound.
With a swift jab-one was assaulted with stiffened joints and muscles, accompanied by a burning sensation.

Yeah.

He was good.

John placed the fang back down, his amusement from earlier dwindling as his thoughts circled back to just moments prior.

He's been having more of those.

Memories.

He had lost more of that night than he originally thought.

John rubbed at his aching eyes, begging to be shut for at least another couple of hours.

Though, he supposed that's what he gets.

It was only appropriate that the more he dug up, the more he'd find the sooner or later. And if the mage remembered more at the cost of a few nights worth of sleep?

Nothing new there.

With his strength growing by the day along with his constant pursuit of new magical tools via weapon or spell-'fooling around' with dangerous things made him feel at home.

He sobered at the word.

With another glance towards his nightstand, he grabbed his clothes and made his way towards the shower.

Laying delicately under books, a letter addressed with his name condemned him.

YOOOOOOOOOOO!

GUESS WHOS BACK
(Back again)
GUESS WHOS BACK
(Back again)
GUESS WHOS BACK
GUESS WHOS BACK
GUESS WHOS BACK-
John, frankly tired of both demonic and wizardry bullshit: -it's Shady! Ya wankers!