Fata Morgana, I'm seeing things

"Ah! Hello, welcome my children! You're my first class of the day, so I do apologize for the mess!"
The woman stumbled.
"In this classroom, you shall discover and explore the arts of Divination! Here you will find if you are one of the few with the ability to look beyond!

Todays lesson will begin with Tasseomancy, the art of reading tea leaves."

John rolled his eyes, swishing around the tea in his cup.

"Taking the cup from the person across from you, together we shall cast ourselves into the future-"

"Bull..."

"Not much of a fan?"

John grinned sardonically.
"And you are?"

This time Draco rolled his eyes.

"All this?"
John held up his cup.
"85-90% bullshit. Ya see, most Divination is self-interpreted and more importantly unreliable. Discrediting con-artists and cheap practitioners, very few accurate psychics actually exist to use this shit properly. See her,"
He pointed to their teacher still blabbering on.
"Folk like her don't realize the difference between wizards and real psychics. 'Magic' like this," he waved the cup back and forth, "will only ever work half the time, because it wasn't made for us! And even if they do, it is because of latent abilities or self-fulfilling prophecies."

Draco grinned.
"That's your opinion on it?"

John downed the rest of his drink and put it in front of Malfoy with a thud.

"That is a fact."

"Now, try to interpret to the best of your abilities what is in the cup. Due keep in mind that many images have various meanings so make sure to find the right description!"

John once again pointed with hand towards their Professor before doubling down and grabbing  Malfoy's cup.

Inside was a mush of grounded leaves and herbs.

"Trelawney has to contain some sort of latent ability or altitude for Dumbledore to've even considered hiring her. Cause if not, then both McGonagall and Snape would've thrown her out the front gates themselves."
They shared a look while futilely searching through their given textbooks.
"Cause ain't nobody else makin sense of this."

"-then she looks into the cup and tells me that I've got a Skull, that 'Danger is in your path!'- as if any one of us couldn't just walk outside, look up and see that for ourselves!"

"Agreed."
Hermione hummed.
"Divination just isn't proper magic. Almost every Professor here can attest that it's not the first nor is it even a reliable route to solve something-I've heard that even Dumbledore doesn't care much for it!"

"Now there's a surprise."
John flipped a page, scribbling down an answer with a ballpoint.
"Professor Albus-Every-Magic-Is-An-Interesting-Magic-Dumbledore can't stand looking into a little glass ball? What has the world gone to?"

Hermione laughed behind her text book, absentmindedly fiddling with her necklace.

John yawned as he and several students walked down a flight of stairs.

They were on their way to their next Transfiguration class when he heard it.

Crying.

The mage walked off the last step and off in the direction he thought he heard it from.

"John!"

He turned, seeing Malfoy's look of confusion.

"Where are you going? Have you forgotten McGonagall's class is the other way?"

"No, Malfoy, I haven't-but do you hear that?"

The other frowned, titling his head as he appeared to be straining his ears.

"I...maybe?"

Looking at the nearest clock, he decided to risk it.

Quickly jogging in the opposite direction, he knew he was closer as the sound grew louder.

They slid to a stop when coming across an intersection of hallways.

"Shit..."

"That way!"
Malfoy pointed.

They were off again, the sound growing louder and echoed.

John was so sure they were about to find whatever was making that noise when they turned that corner and-the noise just stopped.

Utterly silent in an instant.

"What the hell?"

Draco looked inside a room, shrugging when he didn't find anything.

John huffed, annoyed as they had to sprint their way back.

McGonagall merely raised an eyebrow when they stumbled through the door.

She was willing to listen as neither John or Draco made a habit of being late no matter who or what subject it was.

John merely stated that they missed their chance with the moving staircases.

Her only warning was to walk faster next time.