Upshore, but no paddle

He wasn't as surprised as he should've been.

Ever since the mage had returned from searching for danger, the other boy had stuck to him like glue.

So here John was, laying on his bed, eyes to the ceiling, talking to his fellow snake(who was in the bed beside his own) in the dead of night.

"How long do you think they'll keep those bloody things here?"
The mage wondered.
"They can't really expect leeping them in one spot for the entire school year is a good idea."

He shot up and turned.

"While their theory with Harry demands caution-for all we know that crafty bloke could not care less for any student here and is using the idea otherwise and is God knows where at this point!"
He flailed his arms.
"Even if he was here-I took a look out one of the windows when we left, and there was an ungodly amount of them just floating around the school. Like bloody lanterns in the sky!"

Draco snorted.

"What?"

"I cannot believe Zabini once thought you the quiet type."

"Oi!"
John mock hurt.

He took a look around the room, making sure each boy was sleep.

"So,"
He began.
"What's up with them anyways?"

Draco's face scrunched in confusion.

"You and the others."
John clarified.
"You're still friends with em ain't ya?"

That guarded look from before was back.

It took a bit of time for Malfoy to say something, quietly gathering words and courage to say them.

"I...I'm not sure there was a friendship to begin with..."
He admitted.
"While I had no small part of it, from the very start it was mostly...who my father was. Not as much for who I am. Close families stay close. For wealth, for fame, for reputation. I am...I was my fathers son, just as they are theirs. They learned their places and their rules just as early on as I did. There was no closeness between us...if felt more like employer and employee if anything else. And over summer I realized...I finally admitted that I didn't like it."

John felt his chest cave in a little.

While he had always knew that there was something more to Draco than his Malfoy facade, it felt different actually hearing it from him.

But his own bastard nature couldn't stop him from asking it.

"So how am I any different? It didn't take long for us to not get along, you know. And my own friendship with Harry and them only adding to it."

The other laughed a little, turning to face the other way.

"I believe you've answered your own question, not once but multiple times."

"You simply don't care."