Security

As soon as John had settled back into his train compartment, Lupin left to take care of any remaining dementors stilling haunting the area.

With whatever tools the man used, it didn't take very long for the lights to flicker back to life and the train to start moving again.

"Dementors?"
Draco puzzled.
"They certainly sound familiar...if they guard Azkaban as the Ministry demands like this Lupin told you, then perhaps my father or one of his colleagues had discussed them once or twice."

They shrugged, reaching a dead end.

"Real freaky lookin things though, I tell you!"
John shuddered.
"Felt dark as sin, and certainly ain't safe to be around. Bloody lunatics, letting those things get this close to a school..."

The rest of the train went smoothly, with no extra stops along the way thank you.

They did their best to make small talk, far too unsettled to even think about napping the rest of the way there-but once or twice John wondered if one of them should've tried it anyways, if the continued bouts of awkwardness between them said anything.

Once reaching their destination, the students were shuttled off and chartered to the Great Hall.

Like every other year thus far, the hat sang its god-awful tune, first years were sorted and placed in their new respective houses, and Dumbledore had a few things to say.

Not before he introduced the choir Hogwarts had.

John sat there a little incredulously, following along with the lyrics.

'Double, Double, Toil and Trouble'?

Way to play into the 'Muggle Stereotypes'.

Though, there was a line that stuck with the mage as they all applauded their efforts.

"Welcome students, to another year at Hogwarts!"
Their Headmaster stepped back up to his grand podium.
"Now before we begin to take part in the excellent feast prepared for us today, I'd like to say a few things. Firstly! I'd like to present Professor R.J Lupin, who has graciously filled in to teach your Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Students and faculty members clapped in respect and in welcome.

And luck if their 'tradition' continued.

"Huh,"
John turned to Malfoy on his right.
"The bloke we met was our new teacher after all."

The platinum blond turned smug.

John maturely stuck his tongue out at him.

"Secondly, our previous Professor for the Care of Magical Creatures had decidedly retired-if only to spend the rest of his time with his remaining limbs-"

Morbid.

Oh boy.

In the corner of his eye, the dirty blond spotted Harry going back and forth with a few Slytherins sitting further down the table.

Some of which he spotted were Zabini, Crabbe and Goyle.

Poor bloke.

John shook his head.

Never seems to catch a break.

"-in his place is none other than our very own, Rubeus Hagrid."

No shit?
He grinned a little, despite recent events.
Hagrid's been wanting to teach for ages.

John guessed that with his name finally being cleared, doors were beginning to open for him again.

Dumbledore, though John could tell it amused him a lot, needed to hold up his hand in order to finish his speech.

"And finally, on a much more...disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will until further notice pay host to the dementors of Azkaban."

John grimaced, the atmosphere flipping a 180.

"At least until the time that the man known as Sirius Black is indeed recaptured. While they will stationed throughout the grounds, and I have been reassured that their presence shalt not disturb nor disrupt our day-to-day activities-I must enforce a word of caution.

Dementors are vicious creatures, and even with their orders, care not for distinguishing between prey if provoked.

So I warn, and I ask, for you not to give them reason to harm you...for it is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."

Jesus.

And John thought his first year was bad.

"But one must remember that even in the darkest of times, happiness can be found-if one only knows how to turn on the light."

Even after a day as long as theirs had been, by the time food was conjured up-John didn't think he had much of an appetite for any of it.

Looking over the hall, seeing the mixed emotions of his peers...no.

He didn't think he could eat at all.

"'Something Wicked This Way Comes' indeed."