Chapter 7: Fake Mad-Eye

***

The rest of the day went by, and now she was in the library. Whether it was to hide from the world, study, or entertain herself with a good novel, she was unsure. However, deciding that her responsibilities towards the future were far too important, Sandy decided against engaging in a pleasurable pastime. Instead, she opted for grabbing several books on specific topics that would help, and taking notes on what she needed to learn. 

About one hour, and thirty-seven minutes (according to her wrist watch) uninterrupted, someone coughed for her attention. While the first time she shrugged it off, thinking it was simply someone in a near table that was sick, the sound repeated. So, she looked up to find a Ravenclaw staring right at her, with books in his arms. "Hello. All tables are full- oddly enough. Yours has plenty of room, so, I'm gonna sit here. I don't want to talk." With that, he plopped on the opposite seat of the table, and began working on his homework. 

Since his directive was clear, and aligned with her own, Sandy complied without protest. She resumed with her note-taking, and for another twenty-three minutes, nothing had changed. Neither one bothered the other, simply focused on their own task. Or so Sandy thought, for the Ravenclaw kept looking her way every so often, tilting his head to the side and narrowing his eyes. 

He shouldn't have been pleased with the lack of interruption. Not often did others in her position did as he asked. That's what he told himself. However, something was unnerving. She wasn't trying to talk to him. Why? Finally, he broke the silence again. "So that's it? You're just going to ignore my existence?"

Sandy rose her eyes from her notes slowly, eventually meeting his own. Her eyebrows furrowed, and for a moment she looked behind her to double-check he was speaking to her. "Me? You asked not to be bothered. Also, I came to the library for the silence, not for chit-chat." After her response, she silently returned to work. 

The boy was left with wide eyes, frozen in place, still looking over at the new girl. What the actual fuck? He tried to compose himself, shifting in his seat and glancing at her every so often. Seriously, is her brain broken or something? "Usually, people try to talk to me. Get me to like them."

Letting out a sigh, Sandy rubbed between her eyes in frustration. What the bloody hell is wrong with this guy? Is he bipolar? I won't discriminate, but, damm, make up your mind. "You might want to try another table for that. Now, please, either shut up or go to another table." Once more, she went back to her note-taking without releasing another word.

To say he was perplexed was an understandment. "Do you not know who I am?"

Dropping her quill on the table, she closed her eyes momentarily, trying to tell her mind to not commit murder. A second or two passed and she opened her eyes once more, releasing a forced smile in the process. "As a matter of fact, I don't. And I don't care to find out. What I do care about is silence. So, please- this is the last time I'll ask politely. Leave me be."

It would be eight minutes until the boy 'near her age' finally had the courage to speak again. This didn't happen often to him. Certainly not. Between his excellent grades, charming smile, deep pockets, and being his father's son, no one wanted to cross him. He liked that. But now, he had encountered a firecracker in the Gryffindor girl. Part of him was annoyed, while the other intrigued. However, he knew who she was- everybody did. So, perhaps, if she knew who he was, she'd act differently. I just have to introduce myself, and she'll be begging for forgiveness. "I'm Barty Crouch Junior."