Chapter 10: Library Lesson

***

"So, these muggle 'aereoplanes' allow them to fly to places, like us with brooms?" Barty questioned, going over the curriculum of their fourth year's Muggle Studies class. He had managed to get it from the professor, those name Sandy had forgotten. She was beginning with transportation. While he already knew of cars, and trains, now came aereal transportation. 

She nodded at him, proud, but explained the difference. "Yes. However, they're much larger than brooms, with metal walls all around the seats- sort of like the Hogwarts Express, can fit more people, and go further in distance. You know how porkeys can travel one to another country? Its like that, but, less instantaneous. A journey on plane can last hours, depending on the distance chosen. Planes are even capable of getting one over entire oceans, and even continents. Although, usually, on the latter, one requires to  take more than one plane. And, depending on the size of the plane, it can hold from 5 people, to even 400." Sandy had had to revise this information before tutoring the Ravenclaw boy, aware that her knowledge was much more updated."

"Did you take a plane to come here from Australia?"

Pondering on how she should answer, Sandy looked at Barty's eyes. Expecting to find prejudice, she was surprised to see curiosity instead. So, she began telling him of her time she came from Australia, to the UK- even though it was technically in the future, and when she was 8. "Yes. It took two planes actually. The whole thing took nearly three days. It was exhausting. But, unfortunately, there was no portkey available for the journey at that time." Because I wasn't aware magic was real until I was 9, when Hermione got her Hogwarts letter

"What was it like?"

"Well, the take off was a little scary. Planes fly at much faster speeds than brooms can. Also incredibly high. You can see the clouds and everything bellow. There's nothing like it." Although the route and mode of transportation had been, in fact, very tiring, Sandy could not deny the wonder that came with it. Specially in the moment. "When you take off, you can feel your body wanting to fly off the seat- but the belt holds you back, keeps you in place. Your stomach kind of does a flip, and it kind of feels a little like your falling, weirdly enough. Then, landing is the same, but also the opposite, since the plane is going down instead. When you're flying while its night time, you can see the stars, with more clarity than you would from the ground. The best part is that, unlike in a broom, you don't have to worry so much about paying attention on flying it right, and not falling, since the pilot- the person in charge of flying the plane, does it for you. So, you can just admire the view."

He nodded, taking the information in. Barty was beginning to think that, truly, it must have been a good choice on his part to take her as his tutor. Despite not being entirely fond of muggles, having a half-blood explain from experience was useful for his studies. "But, it takes so long though."

"So does the Hogwarts Express."

"Yeah, but, there, you can go to the bathroom, walk around, stretch your legs and all."

"You can in a plane too."

"Really?" His eyes were wide now, astonished. This 'plane' must be quite large to make that possible. Groovy