Chapter 24: Thing No.1 & Thing No.2

***

The next morning, Lily gave her an earful for being late to curfew. Or, rather, she continued the lecture from the night before, given that the Evans girl 'could not sleep', until she was sure Sandy was alright. 

She was now in the common room, double-checking the contents of her satchel when James approached her. Sandy hesitantly looked up, and met his eyes. Ever since the night before, when she cursed him, Sandy had been worried over the consequences of her actions. "You paralyzed me yesterday." His voice was stern, as was his gaze. Sandy did not dare to respond, fearful of making things worse. However, to her surprise, James adjusted his glasses and suddenly grinned. "Those are some really good reflexes you got there." James rose his two thumbs up, very cheerful over what this could mean. "I hope you'll be there at try-outs."

"Try-outs?" To say she was confused was an understandment. Although Sirius had claimed that it was fine, and James seemed to not be rancorous over the previous' nights events, it still baffled her beyond belief. This was not normal behaviour. Not where (or when) she came from. Does everyone in this time like getting cursed or beaten in a duel? What is up with the 70s? Maybe its something in the water.

"For quidditch. Obviously. They're today, and we've got to replace everyone who graduated- like Frank. Oh, Longbottom was great! I'm a chaser, by the way, as is Peter. Sirius is our Keeper- no one scores with him there. And Marlene, your roomie, is a hell of a beater."

"Does Remus play?"

"Nah. He almost made commentator this year though. Unfortunately, the place was taken by Diggory, from Hufflepuff." He shook his head in disappointment, but shrugged it off. "But, anyway, I think you might make an excellent Seeker. I mean, I've seen you duel, and curse me pretty good-"

"I'm really sorry."

"Ah, don't worry about it." He waved it off as if it was nothing. However, his ears perched up as an idea came to mind. James then decided that he would guilty trip her. "I surprised you, its on me. Now, you can make it up to me by trying-out as a Seeker."

She couldn't though, for a number of reasons. Firstly, she never did have a particular interest for Quidditch. Not more than just watching the game anyway, but that was mostly to support her friends and house. Secondly, flying was a thing she was somewhat hesitant about. Although she had flown whenever necessary, and she couldn't say she had neither acrophobia or basophobia, it still made her uneasy. She preferred to keep her feet on the ground. Thirdly, the topic of extracurriculars, such as Quidditch, had come up in their conversations. The same with prefect positions, and other things. Taking any position away from those who were originally meant to take them could alter things. "I can't. I'm sorry. But I can do something else?"

James instantly pouted in response, before whining. "What? Why?" However, he didn't let Sandy respond, for two redheads strode down from the boy's dormitory spiral staircase, and they caught James' attention. "Oh, Prewett number one and number two- which one of you made captain?"

Sandy's eyes widened as she turned to look at the pair. The likeness between them and the Weasley twins was undeniable. Fabian and Gideon, Mrs Weasley's younger brothers. They're 7th years. The familiarity of their stories echoed through her mind. The duo had died during the First Wizarding War, killed in a duel against five Death Eaters, including Antonin Dolohov. "We both are," They replied in unison in their Gryffindor uniforms. "We're co-captains. Obviously."

A stinging pain emerged into her eyes, but the time-traveller tried to ignore it. All the while the boys continued their conversation. With a snort, James nodded at the fraternal twins' words. "Right. Obviously. Anyways, I'm trying to convince this one to try-out for the Seeker position. Her name is Sandy Reese, and she's got great reflexes."

"Patronus girl? The one that kicked Rosier's arse? Sweet! She's in." Fabian rubbed his big nose before he short her a radiant smile. "Unfortunately, we do have to give other people a chance, even if its just for show. But, don't worry, you got the position." He fiddled with his golden watched as he nodded at his brother, silently telling him to agree.

Gideon did, and made a humorous remark to 'boost up' her resume. "She's also Dumbledore's goddaughter. Clearly badasseness is in her genes."

"We're not related by blood." A snort left her as she corrected the redheaded giant. Although she was trying to keep a brave face, a lump was forming in her throat at the side of the duo. The more her eyes scanned over their features, the more Sandy could tell the resemblance between them and the two boys she knew. Even they way they smile- you can tell there's a mischievousness behind it. "Also, I won't be trying-out. Sorry."

"Why not?" James echoed his former complaint before giving an argument a go. He hoped to ease her of all of her concerns, if she had any, to convince her to join. It wasn't just because he thought she'd be a great Seeker, no. Other than that, he knew first hand the help Quidditch had given Sirius with his home and family issues. To release his frustrations on a sport. James had faith that this could also work for Sandy as well. "You'd do great. And if you need help learning the rules or learning plays, we got you. We'll help."

Knowing she couldn't quite explain the full story, Sandy merely shrugged. There's only one truth relevant that should get them to back off. With that in mind, she expressed her point. "Flying and I have a love-hate relationship."

Tilting his head to the side, Potter turned to her. "Oh. How come?" 

Seeing Lily gesturing at her to leave the common room with them (herself, Marlene and Mary) for breakfast, Sandy too the chance to leave. "I just do. Bye."

"Hey, wait- Arrh." James ran his hands through his hair before pulling in frustration. 

"That didn't go as you expected?"

"No shit, Gideon. You think?"

"Hey," Fabian loudly exclaimed with a frown, crossing his arms. "Only I get to call Gideon shit."

Mumbling under his breath, Gideon whined out a verbal combat against his fraternal twin. "You're the little shit."

And so, the war between the began. "Oh, yeah? Well, you're the bigger shit."

"I am bigger, yes. Thank you for recognizing that." He straightened up with a grin and wiggled his eyebrows. All the while, James was watching this exchange while rubbing his lacrimal bones in frustration. 

"No, you're not! I am!"

"Okay! You're both big pieces of shit! Are we done here?" After James cut them off, both twins exchanged a glance before tacking the Potter boy in unison. "Wait! Gah! Stop!"

"We only call each other shits!"

***

N/A: I thought it was about time to introduce the Prewetts. Unfortunately, there's not much about them in the books or movies. However, that also means there's a lot more wiggle room to create aspects of their personality, whoever they may fit the story better. What do you think of Fabian and Gideon? Do you want to see (read) more of them?