Chapter 18: Endolphins?

***

As they left the Great Hall, Sandy began shaking and breathing heavy. "Sandy? Try to breath." Sirius pulled her to the side, worried eyes expressed over his face. He send a silent plea James' way, knowing what was coming and that he was better at handling this. After all, the few times Sirius had a panic attack (over talking about stuff from home, if one could even call Grimmauld Place a home), James coached him through it. 

So, the spectacled rushed to their side as Sirius helped her lean against a wall. "Sandy, look at me. You're going to be fine. Just- listen to my voice and do what I say, alright? We're gonna help you."

"I can't- I can't-" She felt herself trembling, chills traveling up her spine and extending to all her limbs. Was someone squeezing her heart? It felt like it. Or was it her lungs? 

James guided her to sit on the floor, her back still pressed against the thick stone wall. Then, he grabbed one of her hands (her left) and placed it on his chest, before exaggerating his breathing. "Try following my breathing okay? Breath in, and out... In and out. That's it. In... and out." Although Sandy tried to follow, her breathing kept getting worse, as she remembered the fact that she was never going to see her friends and cousin again. Not with them remembering her as she was, since the future would be altered now. She would be a stranger to them. "Okay, okay. Rules of threes. Tell me three things you can see."

"Wha-what?" Dizziness was starting to set in. At that moment, she was grateful to not be standing up, as she'd likely would have struggled staying straight. The tips of her fingers were also feeling tingly. Although she tried to retrieve her hand, James held onto it tightly against his chest, careful to not hurt her. But he still needed to maintain some kind of physical contact to remind her that he was there, and to help her. Its location was also strategically chosen, to aid her with understanding the pace she was meant to try to breath in. 

"Trust me. I'm here for you. It will help you focus. Three things you can see."

Looking frantically around between the two boys, Sandy tried to guess for the right answer. She didn't know what they were trying to get out of her. "Y-you?"

"Yes, that's one. You're doing great. This will pass. Tell me two more."

"S-Siriu-us? A-a-an-and you gl-glass-ses?"

"That's right. You're doing great. Keep breathing in and out... In and out... Now, what are three things you can hear?"

"My-y hea-a-a-art-t?" It was beating in her ears as she kept trying to catch her breath. With James still exaggeratingly breathing, Sandy tried to match his breath. 

He nodded at her with a small, encouraging smile. From what he had learnt from Sirius, that seemed normal for a panic attack. "That's one. Two more. You can do it."

From where she was sitting, she could sit hear the chatter from everyone else still eating. "P-people in t-t-the Grea-at Ha-ha-ha-hall-l?"

"One more. Breath in... and breath out. Nice and easy."

"L-Lily's footsteps."

"That's right- wait, what?" He turned around to, in fact, find out that the redhead had followed them, seemingly realizing that something was wrong. However, he shook his head and dismissed the love of his life. Now was not the time to focus on his Lilyflower. Sandy was in need of his help. "Okay, good. Keep breathing, in... and out. Now, tell me three things you can touch."