Chapter 44: Heartbreak?

***

Since he saw her brew the Amorobliterus Elixir, Remus had been trying to find out who Sandy could have a crush on, for several days now. Both, due to his love for learning gossip, and to see if he could stop the girl from taking the potion once it was ready. Perhaps, if he knew who was lucky enough to receive her affections, Remus would be able to ensure that person would care for her back. It sounded like an odd mission, however, in the little time he had known this girl, he knew she was someone deserving of love. Whether it be platonic, familiar, or romantic. Although, in his mind, she deserved it all. 

After how helpful she had been towards him, specially in regards to his 'werewolf problem', he felt like he owed her. That, and it felt like it was his duty as her friend to do something. Unfortunately, he had no such luck, for the girl persisted in her usual activities he had come to know as 'avoiding everyone like the plague'. 

As they sat in potions class, he wondered if her partner could be the one. And yet, as he looked over Snape's way, all Remus could do was wrinkle his nose in disgust at the idea. "Ugh, no."

"Ugh, no, what?" A voice suddenly questioned from beside him, making the werewolf jump. 

Turning to face his own potion's partner for the day (as Slughorn had to separate the two 'non-blood related brothers' due to causing a ruckus), it then occurred to Remus that he has spoken out loud earlier. "Oh, nothing, Padfoot."

Following the line of sight that Remus had previously, Sirius looked between both tables with a questioning eyebrow. "Did Snivellous do something? I mean, other than exist and sit beside Cuteness, that is."

With a shake of his head, Remus tried to change the subject. "No, he didn't. It's not that- Look, just, pass me the rat tails, will you?" However, as the boy made no move to pass him the ingredient, Remus went to grab it himself instead, and continue to try to brew the Hair-Raising Potion, as her Slughorn's instructions. 

"Let me-" The rat tails were taken off the werewolf's hands, as Sirius too looked for an excuse. "I'm better at potions anyways." As he proceeded to chop the tails, he took a peak at James and Peter's table, finding the latter rather disturbed by the ingredients used on the day. Sirius then turned back to Remus, and began his interrogation. "Come on, Moony. You can tell me. I'll help!"

Remus glanced Sandy's way in hesitance, before letting out a sigh. Deciding that Sirius did have a better eye for relationship stuff, he agreed, reluctantly. Although, that didn't mean he would tell him everything. Just enough to help. "I think Sandy has a crush on someone."

It was like a needle had struck his heart. The pain wasn't too intense, but, Sirius could feel it, picking at his heart. It was uncomfortable, and persistent. Denying the thoughts of jealousy, Sirius smirked and wiggled his eyebrows at his fellow werewolf friend. "Oh? And, is this crush reciprocated?"

"I don't know," The boy shrugged, turning back to the potion's instructions. That was until the unusual feeling he got from beside him became overwhelming enough for him to turn back to Sirius. Seeing the look on his friend's face, Remus' eyes widened. "Wait, I don't mean it like that! I have no idea who she may like."

"But, you're wondering, 'cause you're interested, right?" He wanted to know. He needed to know. Why? The Black heir had no clue. He's my friend, of course I'd want to know to help him, Sirius told himself. Although, in reality, he was much more interested in the Sandy part, rather than Remus' involvement.