Ten: Rabbits and Trees

RABBITS AND TREES———————————————reminder, everything in italics are memories

RABBITS AND TREES
———————————————
reminder, everything in italics are memories

a/n: commenting and voting helps me update and I love reading them, so pls don't be a ghost reader!!

Conrad followed Calista around like his life depended on it. She told herself she didn't need it (she absolutely did), it was the only thing keeping her mind slightly off her dad.

Even though she hadn't said anything for hours, he still sat across from her while she watched the rain fall from the window, trying to remember a song she played nonstop the last time they hung out.

Every once in awhile, he glanced up from his phone, wishing he knew what she was thinking.

Calista wished she saw everything sooner for her mother's sake. Her father getting more distant, his work hours extending, him occasionally not coming home until morning.

It took them 2 years to figure out Arthur Rubio was cheating on his wife, and 2 days for him to leave nothing but an old picture of him and Calista in their house.

"Im sorry Calista," she remembered her father telling her on their front porch the last time she saw him, "I just don't feel the happiness I used to, I will always hope for you to understand."

Calista remembered being silent that day, she wished she yelled at him to not call her that, she wished she said something that made him hurt as much as she did, but nothing came out.

Removing her gaze from the raindrop scattered window and onto Conrad who offered her an earbud, she could only think of one thing...

How much she wished her father told her it wasn't her fault.

-x-

"And that's how you do it," Calista held up the rope.

The poor man fell into a confused silence. She never thought that the interaction would be awkward, but it's what she should've been expecting coming unannounced.

"She was never good at explaining things," Conrad stated, taking the rope while leaving a half offended Cali to the side.

"And you're better?" She looked down at him as he kneeled down to show the author an easier example.

"Yes actually," Conrad looked up at her, his gaze remained on her a little longer than usual.

He seemed to notice the same time she did and broke eye contact bending his neck down to talk, "this standing line is the tree and all you have to do is make a loop for the rabbit hole, the rabbit comes out of the hole around the back of the tree, back down the hole and you got yourself a knot."