Chapter 2: Secret Correspondents

Evelyn's POV

"For fuck's sake we've been at this for hours and we are in exactly the same spot: war has started and it will not end without you taking the throne." Nyx threw his hands up into the air in frustration.

He jumped, wings out ready to fly away because of a loud thud on the hardwood table. One of the only precious memories from my kingdom. It was a gift from Nyx and Violet who had gone back to assess the damage and continued to manage all of the spying for me.

Today, like every other freaking day, me and my team argue the same points for hours while nothing gets done. I don't have a large team: just Nyx and Violet. Sometimes Rian but seldom Oisin. I know he backs me 1000% on this though. We are just going through an odd phase. Plus, I wanted to keep the team small. And yet... today like every other day, things were heating up in more ways than one. Who knew Violet would have such a temper. It made me giggle because it's like a fluffy bunny getting upset and all you want to do is go 'awww so cute!'. But I could do without the effect it had on Nyx who was basically thinking about using this table for some other type of activity. To be fair, his mind was on eating, just probably not any real food.

"So what's your plan Mr. High and Mighty?!  Keep putting special sunscreen on our Queen and just hope it all works out? Great fucking plan, Nyx." Violet's sarcasm was even cuter and now she was clapping back at her lover who was just getting more and more worked up. He was practically drooling. "Why don't we all just walk up to the castle that houses our enemy and politely as them to leave because their rightful heir wants her throne back? They don't give a shit that Evelyn is the Queen and rightful leader of the Fae folk or we wouldn't be in this position! You're not that dumb. Please tell me I'm not mating with someone who thinks a batshit crazy plan like that would work." Violet rolled her eyes before she stared Nyx down. Anger turning to fiery passion.

"Oh I like it when you get riled up." Nyx was fully preoccupied with thoughts that didn't pertain to the civil war between the faeries that could turn into an all out paranormal worlds war if not put to a stop. And I was stuck playing babysitter.

I looked between my best friend and my advisor and all I saw was pure lust. Great. Just lovely. Nothing more was happening today, not anything that needs to happen anyways.

"You're both dismissed. And if I'm being honest, Violet, you could do so much better." I gave her a wink.

"I really could. Do you have anyone in mind? Is that werewolf still around? Maybe King Rian is looking for a new..."

"Finish that sentence and this will not be fun for you." I saw Nyx's eyes darken. "But it will be for me either way, so please go on. What would you like to do the a blood sucking King who also happens to be a complete bag of dicks!" As Nyx's voice grew louder and more sarcastic, foot steps outside the door also grew louder.

"I heard that."

"You were supposed to. Because I can have her anytime I want but you, your Majesty, cannot." Nyx was beaming but this play would turn into a blood bath if I allowed it to go on. Possibly a blood orgy.

I felt heat rising in my body as the thought, one I've never had and am now extremely curious about, is a blood orgy. I fought all my instincts and decided to be a dutiful and PG rated version of myself.

"You are officially and royally dismissed. Please go before my war room turns into an orgy room." Royal etiquette was not my strong suit.

"Orgy room? I'm game! We could get some humans and make it a blood orgy. Haven't had one of those in... hmm, how many years has it been brother?"

I made eye contact with Oisin who could see my excitement and curiosity. He smirked and shook his head at me. I knew I was in trouble for agreeing with his brother but the punishment would be worth hearing about an actual real life blood orgy! My body was buzzing with excitement that I couldn't contain.

"Let's see, hmm, the last one YOU hosted was in the late 18th century. Maybe early 19th century." Oisin replied with a shake of his head. He quickened his steps so he could beat his brother to be at my side first to formally greet me. "My Queen." Oisin kissed my hand making my head feel fuzzy.
An orgy wouldn't be half bad with how I was feeling.

"So in other words we should definitely host one. Maybe wait for the wolves to come by and see what kinky shit they're into." Rian's eyes met mine and I didn't look away. I held his gaze knowing I was so close to my mate who could pick up on these things. Rian didn't take his eyes off of mine. He winked and smiled in that naughty way that would make any person, male or female swoon. And then he surprised me even further by bowing to me while I was still seated at the head of the table.

My breath hitched. Like really hitched. I'd only seen that happen in the movies.

A King never bows to a Queen. I didn't know a lot about how I was supposed to act as Princess of Vampires and Queen of the Fae Folk, but I knew that Rian was not one to bow to anyone.

Oisin's eyes rolled so far they were in the back of his head. "I'm going to go find Nyx and Violet before they get too comfy." My mates hot breath whispering into my ear sent chills down my spine.

As Oisin walked off he hit Rian and told him to back the fuck off. But Rian's eyes never left mine. Not while my mate whispered sweet nothings into my ear or even when he stood straight back up and received a "playful" hit from his brother.

I was starting to worry that Oisin new my little secret. One I had been working on with Nyx daily to cover up by pushing it away in my psyche.

For someone who has mated with their soulmate I still had way too many physical reactions to Rian's presence. I only hope Oisin hasn't noticed it.

"Alone at last." King Rian took the seat to my right and started eating some grapes before taking my wine cup full of blood I had yet to drink. "You seem agitated, is it my devilishly handsome good looks? My very sexy British accent? Or my eyes connecting with yours for so long? If you had mated with me you wouldn't be HALF anything, you'd be Queen to all." He said confidently as well as sounded so sincere and warm that for a moment I thought he was going to be sincere. I was very wrong. "You know if you are going to survive this half vampire, half faerie thing you need do drink blood. That way you stay your hyper sexual self and make lots and lots of," Rian paused, a playful smirk on his stupidly handsome face, "Fuck. What would you make. Doesn't matter really but I'd bet it be fun trying?"

"Shut. It." I was already sad enough about not being technically fully turned. Fiona pushed back her wedding. Oisin feels different around me, more cautious and less confident as of late. And my Fae side wanted a child to go frolicking in the meadows and forests with me! Vampires can't reproduce. Part of me did die when Oisin turned me: my ability to create life.

"Right. My bad." At least Rian still had some sense left in him bc he sat back and started reading over notes regarding the situation that was on-going in my realm. "What about an attack at night? We could make a majority of the trip under nightfall, camp out, use some of Nyx's special elixir that I'm still not 100% convinced isn't his own semen." Rian made a mock gagging noise that made me laugh. "See, there's that beautiful smile. You are a Queen, Evee, and I am a King. You have access to anything within my power. What's mine is yours."

"Are you trying to piss your brother off?" Because it sure seemed like it. But I listened for steps and heard nothing. No heavy boots echoing in the hallway. Maybe he was being sincere...

I shook my head knowing I needed to get whatever that thought and feeling was out of my head ASAP!

"Always. But no, I'm doing this for you Evelyn."

"Why?"

"You know why." The truth was written all over his face. It took all of my willpower to resist him when he looked at me like that. "Now let's awkwardly sit here until Oisin brings that little pixie boy and his minx of a mate back."

With that being said, he broke any lingering sexual tension. I handed him a stack of intercepted letters Nyx had gotten his hands on. And we both got back to work. Side by side. Waiting for something to pull us apart; we seemed to be having trouble doing that on our own as of late.