Chapter 8: Mine

Oisin

I have to keep my mate safe.
Even though she has stopped crying out to me every moment of every day, I still have to say to myself I'm doing this for my Evelyn. My Princess.

Even though her screams have quieted, I know I will go insane if I don't remind myself that it is life or death. So I say my mantra over and over again, a thousand times a day in my head. If I don't, I'll go crazy from the guilt of locking my beloved away.

Every once in a while, more lately, the thought that she's not mine creeps in. That maybe she was never truly mine to begin with. We didn't break the curse. It wasn't spoken about openly but I read minds for fucksake! Vampires also have paranormal hearing powers. The whispers and thoughts of doubt in Evelyn and me felt like another link added to my chain that weighed me down lately. To make matters worse, Nyx and my brother keep putting their noses into Evelyn's business. Nyx has every right to do so as her advisor, but Rian had no good reason for getting so involved. I was happy that he showed interest, as a fellow royal paranormal being in backing Evelyn's right to the crown in the Fae kingdom. SlHis influence and power as the King of the vampires, and as my brother, gave credibility to all of those who were on the fence about Evelyn's noble lineage. I hated that it was Rian and not me she needed. King Rian ordering that everyone call Evee, Queen Evelyn of the Faeries. Fucker could have ordered them all to call her his queen and orders would have been followed.

Even just that thought alone makes me want to rip him limb from limb and only when I have him near death but still cognizant, I'd stick his cock in his mouth and let him choke on it as he has done to so many women. Only then I would stake him through the heart. Begging for his pathetic life trying to take a breath with each cough as I shove it further down his throat. See if he likes getting raped. That face fucker has it coming.

I'll always be grateful to him and never forget the good he has done, no matter how tough and bloodthirsty he acts over the centuries. We are both creatures of the night, the damned, the villain in the fairytales, and the monsters of the dark creeping into nightmare or keeping people awake. And yet, he's been acting strangely kind towards humans we feed on and usually have our way with. He hasn't killed anyone for just the fun of it or because he wanted to suck every last bit of blood from a warm corpse.

His mind has been preoccupied with this Fae civil unrest. My brother's champion for the Fae's and his softheartedness towards their plight doesn't add up. When I try to read his mind he blocks me. Rian has a talent for blocking out mind readers. I've seen him with Nyx and I know he must slip up every now and again but Nyx is newer to the vampire kingdom. Rian has had centuries to learn how to block me out. He can even conjure up a thought that he wants to project to me when he gets desperate to keep my nose out of his business.

Rian putting on a "show" in his mind, so to speak, only gives away that he's trying to hide something. What would he absolutely need to hide from me?

Possibly a strategy for stopping the bleeding in Tir Na Nog...but why would he keep me in the dark? I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt: maybe he does have a plan that leaving me in unaware might somehow be beneficial.

Or maybe he's ready to go after what's mine.