DANCE LESSONS - CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The promise Dorian made to remain by my side at all times held steady for only a few days. Although it didn't last long, I cherished every moment. From my waking hours, where I was met with the sight of Dorian sleeping beside me, to the heat of my afternoons spent winding through the gardens and reading with my head resting against Dorian's legs. All of it was held carefully in my heart and stored away in my memory, forever to be remembered and never to be forgotten.

I hope that I'll be able to create more memories with Dorian when he returns. Four days ago, he had left for the land of Dryadale to deal with negotiations between the elves and the vampires. I miss him, so much so that I have plopped myself down in a chair before a window that will give me a perfect view of Dorian's return, whenever that will be. 

Unfortunately, Selene forces me out of the seat I have practically glued myself to, and then she drags me for what seems like miles through the manor until we stop in an extravagant ballroom. It has multiple multiple convex windows on the ceiling that allow for sunlight to brilliantly spill onto the floor, almost making it appear to sparkle. When I finally look at Selene, I see that she is standing before me, arms crossed over her chest and red eyes glaring at me in disappointment.

"Miss, I advised you to practice ballroom dancing, didn't I?" She asks me and I give her a nod in response. "I figured that you would follow my advice, instead you brushed it away to glumly wait for Master Dorian to return. Excuse my rudeness when I say this but that is not the proper behavior for the future Queen of Bestias." Her breath is taken inward, interrupting her sentence. It's as if she is trying to will herself to continue speaking, and then, finally, she releases the swell of air in her lungs and continues, "You should not be fretting away at Dorian's absence. That only shows weakness and if you are weak, then Master Dorian will reflect you in turn."

"Please, remember that the wedding is coming. You only have mere days to mold yourself into a human that will not poorly reflect onto Master Dorian," She finishes.

My mouth is partially agape at her sudden boldness. Never has she spoken her mind so truthfully to me in all the hours she has spent attending me. The fact that she has just done so is enough to tell me that my elopement with Dorian does not just affect me but all of those underneath him.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, slightly ashamed for my pitiful behavior. I'm a strong, independent woman, I remind myself as I feel my thoughts begin to drift to Dorian. "I promise to practice ballroom dancing."

"Wonderful!" Selene cheers, pleased at my change in attitude, "Then, let's have you begin now!"

I swallow in apprehension, glancing at the large doors that lead to my escape from this soon-to-be hell. Although I may be an independent woman, I'm definitely not a woman who can dance. Hold a gun to my head and tell me to twerk or do the Macarena and I'll just kiss my life goodbye. No, I can't do either of those moves and yes, I'm that uncoordinated. I know it's pathetic, right? Well, that's the beauty of having no sense of space or rhythm. 

My feet start to shuffle to the door as I give Selene a smile, hopeful that she won't foil my plan to leave. Her eyes narrow on me. She doesn't need to say a single thing for me to know she already has figured out that I have no intention of staying to practice dancing.

As I continue my hasty escape, I come up with a flurry of excuses, "I...I should really be practicing other things, like my vows! It won't be good if I misspeak during the wedding, right?" A nervous laugh leaves me at the unamused expression on Selene's face. "Oh! And...and I need to make dinner too! You know, just in case Dorian comes back tonight. He won't be very happy if there's nothing for him to eat."