MY VAMPIRIC PRINCE CHARMING - FINAL CHAPTER

The news of Callon's death greets me slowly. At first, all I hear are the unsaid words 'Callon is dead' and then all I feel is a helpless sense of grief within my heart. Although I had not known Callon very well, I still had formed a connection with him. It may not have been the strongest of connections, but it was still enough to make me choke back tears in front of his brother.

One pressing question leaves my lips, "How?"

My voice is no longer that of a commanding Queen but a helpless human who is being swallowed whole by her emotions. I clench my jaw, focusing on the brown grass beneath my feet.

"I do not–..."

Evander begins to try to evade my question but I implore him, "Please, please...just tell me. Tell me that he died quickly, without pain."

Now a question of his appears in his mind as he looks at me, eyebrows scrunching up. Instead of entertaining me with his question, he answers my own first, "My brother took his last breath while killing that wolven traitor, Biast. He had taken Biast's heart in his hand, only to find that his own heart was stolen by Biast. A heart for a heart, as they say."

"But his heart was not Biast's to hold. In fact, it was no one's," He finishes speaking, voice now only a mere wavering whisper.

"No one's except for Dorian," I say solemnly.

My addition to his sentence makes him whip his head upward. His eyes are wide with what seems to be fear before they mellow out into a soft look of acceptance.

"If you know that, then you must have been a friend of Callon's," He concludes, smiling tightly before he advances forward. I step out of the way and watch as he opens the door, silently motioning for me to go inside. "A friend of Callon's is a friend of Dorian's. That is how it has been ever since they were young, and that is how it will remain, even in Callon's absence."

I manage to give him a weak thank you, then follow him through the manor. The manor has changed quite drastically, at least on the inside. Normally, there are servants scurrying down the halls, but there isn't a single servant in sight. It's just me, Evander, and this unsettling silence as we walk down the sparsely lit halls.

I glance at the paintings hanging to my left and right. Many of them are familiar to me, as I had spent a great deal of time examining them whenever I was bored. What is not familiar to me is this dreary atmosphere. It clogs up the air of the manor, making it hard for me to smile, even when I know I'm getting closer to Dorian.

That deariness only seems to become thicker, like a dense fog that will not lift, as we near a door. I'm quick to notice the strange white wood and the engraving of the sun and moon upon it. It is the door to Dorian's study, and behind that door, is my Dori. It's only then that I break through the dark fog surrounding me, smiling while I run to the door. This time, I'm careful to watch my speed, and instead of slamming straight into the door, I stop just before it.

As my hand turns the knob, Evander yells something at me, but I don't hear it. All I can hear are the thoughts that are screaming at me to open the door so that I can finally see Dorian, and that is exactly what I do.

Rather than seeing Dorian, I'm met with the sight of a fast-approaching blade. I stumble to the right, barely catching my balance after evading the blade that would've pierced right through my chest if I had been a moment slower. Only after I catch my balance, do I remember that Evander was close behind me. I look over at him, desperately hoping that he has not been hit by the knife. Fortunately, he's completely fine, knife in hand and no blood in sight.