THE PRICE OF HAPPINESS - CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

After seeing my body lying before me, I feel like a ghost more than ever. I feel out of place. I feel dead, at least in this world. 

 It's almost as if my still body is silently telling me that I don't belong, that my home is not here but back on Earth, the world I have always known. However, I find myself stepping — more accurately, gliding — toward the unknown. 

My hand hovers over the chest of my sleeping body. I can't feel its steady rising and falling, nor can I feel the light beating of my heart, but I know my heart is in there somewhere, just waiting to come alive again. 

I let my hand glide over the red fabric of my wedding dress that has a darkened stain tainting it. The tight churning within my gut whispers to me, telling me that stain is exactly what I think it is. Blood. I can only hope that it is Biast's blood and no one else's.

If it is not from him and he is still ruining the land with his presence, then I will personally stain my skin red with his blood until he has no more to offer. I go to grip the edge of the table to calm myself, only to have my hand slip right through it. It's another blaring reminder of the helpless state I'm in.

I switch my gaze over to the two witches who have been quietly conversing amongst themselves for the past few minutes. "I'd like to go back now...to my body."

Their voices hush and they focus on me, silently staring until Nimue responds, "Then say your name, my dear."

My eyebrows furrow together at her instructions. I had thought that they would chant something again, or maybe, I would have to complete some sort of odd ritual. Instead, all I have to do is just say my own name, a task that no one, not even a five-year-old can fuck up.

Despite this, my nerves begin to jitter as I open my mouth and whisper, "Cyra."

Nothing happens. "Cyra," I try again, this time, louder with more impatience. Nothing happens yet again. "Cyra, Cyra, Cyra, Cyra!" I yell in desperation, "Cyra Roe, Cyra Lillian Roe! Oh, what the hell am I doing wrong? It's not working!"

Sybil simply begins shaking her head with a smile that practically screams 'You're a fool'. "No, no, say the name you have been gifted in Bestias."

This is proving to be more challenging than I originally thought it would be. I'm not even sure where to start. I don't have a single damn clue as to what my Bestian name is. Shouldn't it just be Cyra? I mean, that is what everyone calls me. Unless...

"Human!" I shout the word out, grinning widely until I realize that was not the correct word.

Silence envelops the room and my mind as I draw a blank, frustrated and quickly losing hope. If I can't figure out my name, then I'll be stuck forever in this ghost-like state. Sure, I may be able to remain in Bestias, but I won't ever be able to feel Dorian's warmth again. 

That's the last thing I want, especially when I miss him terribly. All I want to do is find that vampire, kiss him, and then let him fuck me for hou—...

"Oh, Cyra," Sybil calls to me in a sing-song voice that sounds like nails against a chalkboard, "I believe your mind has drifted...significantly."

"Ah, what is that saying those humans adore? Oh! I think her mind is in the garden," Nimue comments.