Chapter 23: Happiness Can Be Found In The Darkest of Times

The door to the office swung open. The Goblin nodded the Harpteeth and left. Two oddly young people entered. They didn't reveal a lot of emotions. They were stiff as well. Two chairs appeared next to Harry. Harry assumed they were the Rosier. His grandparents. Harry couldn't stop staring.

"Lord and Lady Rosier. Welcome, have a sit." Harpteeth greeted.

They nodded and sat down at the chairs that appeared for them.

"Mr. Potter, these are your grandparents. Felix and Lucia Potter." Harpteeth introduced.

"Hello." Harry tried to remain composed.

They were slightly intimidating. Lucia looked like his mother. She had red hair and green eyes, of course, Harry's eyes were a shade deeper than hers. She had very few wrinkles. She had a similar facial structure to that of Harry's mother. She was tall and thin. She was beautiful, even in old age. She wore an all-black dress. Felix was completely different from his wife. He had an aristocratic facial structure. He had jet-black hair with no white hair. He had sharp gray eyes that shone with a certain kind of intelligence, the dangerous kind. He was tall and thin. He wore an all-black robe

"Harry Potter." Felix drawled. "The son of my daughter."

"That's me," Harry said. He had no idea how to reply to that.

"Where did you live? You should have gone with us, not your reckless godfather." Felix said resentful.

"Godfather?" Harry asked. "I didn't live with any Godfather."

"No?" Lucia said. "You didn't live with Sirius Black?"

"I have no idea who that is," Harry responded.

"If you don't know, where did you go?" Felix raised an eyebrow.

"The Dursleys."

"Who?"

"My muggle relatives—at least former ones," Harry explained. "Until I ran away."

A flash of disgust appeared on Felix's face, then it was gone.

"Muggles. Why would you be sent it there?" Lucia asked blankly.

"Dumbledore said it was best for me–"

"Dumbledore is a fraud," Felix said, upfrontly. "Come with us."

Felix stood up with Lucia.

Dumbledore stood at the podium at school as the school began to quiet down. Dumbledore opened and raised his arms as he greeted the entire school.

"Welcome! Welcome! To another year at Hogwarts." Dumbledore put his arms down "Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor RJ Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Dumbledore let the students applaud the teacher for a bit Lupin stood up and did a small bow to the students.

Harry sat at the Slytherin table as he watched. After spending the rest of the summer at the Rosiers, he learned many things about himself and about the culture in the Wizarding World. Malfoy, who sat a few places down at the long table, leaned over forward to Harry.

"Potter, Potter, is it true you fainted?" Malfoy asked, obnoxiously loud. "I mean, you actually fainted?"

Harry ignored him, with a blank face.

He didn't pay attention after that. Harry thought about what his Grandparents told him. Sirius Black was roaming around freely. Black who betrayed his parents. He robbed him of a childhood. Harry swore revenge.

Theo bumped his ribs. Harry looked over. He pointed to Dumbledore.

"...has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs," Dumbledore said, "Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

Another round of applause went around.

"Finally, on a more describing note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban. Until such a time Sirius Black is captured. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds whilst I have been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution, Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you, to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving but you know: happiness can be found even in the darkest of times." Dumbledore swiped his hand over the candle to put out the flame. "Only when one remembers to turn on the light." 

Dumbledore swiped his hand over the candle to light the candle again.

"Now, you may eat."

Food appeared on the trays. Harry told Theo of his summer, leaving out certain bits and pieces, like the Dursleys.