Chapter 38

"Bambi?" I heard Dario call for me, but I did not want to face him just yet. I was too embarrassed at what almost happened. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep at noon. 

Very convincing, Joe.

I heard a slight knock on my door, but I did not answer. He called again until he cracked the door open. "I know you are not asleep." I still did not move. "Very well then, I will pretend you are in a coma, but you can hear everything I say..." Dario sat near my legs, and I almost squeaked when his hand touched my sole. I was ticklish.

What is so urgent that he cannot wait until I am 'awake'?

"Bambi, I apologize about Mattia's and Abramo's behavior earlier. They were out of line, and they stopped something important from happening. That could be a sign from above that it is not meant to be yet, but I like to keep a glimmer of hope that you also want it as much as I do. I have no idea what I feel when I am with you, but you make me feel good. You make me want to smile voluntarily when I never had such desires..."

Hearing him open up to me, even though I was asleep, warmed my heart. He was not the same Dario that I first met, and I liked this version better. "Speaking of desires, I have many concerning you. They are not holy, but I am sure they would make you feel things you have never felt before. I am indeed inexperienced in sex-" he suddenly stopped talking as if realizing what he had just admitted, and I jumped from my slumber with wide eyes.

"You are a virgin?"

"Fuck. I forgot you weren't actually sleeping. Well, bye for now-" It was so funny seeing the Mafia DOn get embarrassed.

"Hold up!" I grabbed his hand and made him sit back down. He winced at the impact due to his injury, but I did not care. I was a curious selfish bitch at that moment. "It's not a bad thing! I am a virgin myself. It meant that we hadn't found our people yet. It is actually admirable. I am saving myself for marriage."

Why am I telling him this?

"Now that's a serious problem because I am not..." he confessed lowly, and I did not know what to say. I was a bit disappointed for a second until I heard what he said next. "I guess I will wait and accept your wishes."

My face was like tomatoes at this point. "Wait, what? Time out! I am so confused right now. What do you mean by that?" I covered my cheeks with my palms and stared at him. His expression made me uneasy, restless, but excited all at the same time. He looked so fucking handsome, and my core was so hot.

He sighed and gently held my hands. "Never mind that for now, let's go and eat the cake Mattia brought with him. I need help descending the stairs, so let's go, Bambi." I knew he did not help with anything. Did that mean he liked my help? I did not want to comment on what he had declared earlier, so I nodded, and we left the room. His words caught me off guard, but now that I think about it, they made me extremely happy and relieved.

Does this mean I like Dario?

Does he like me?

"Do you want a big or a small slice?"

"Ha?" I asked, unaware that we were already in the kitchen.

"Cake, Bambi, focus! Big or small?" he smirked, and I slapped his arm.

I cleared my throat and sat on the bar chair. "Small, please."

He smirked. "And here I thought you preferred big." His comment was so unnecessary, especially after his confession in my room. He had a way of inserting dirty comments here and there, making me question who was the real dirty-minded in the mafia.