Chapter 56

After nervously contemplating my life, I put on my backless maxi burgundy dress and raised my hair in a neat bun. I glanced one last time at the mirror; finally confident and feeling like a queen, I walked to the living room to see Dario waiting for me in all his glory. 

He looked so handsome, like a prince.  His suit added to the royal effect, and I melted. His tie matched the color of my dress, and I could not help but feel like a high schooler excited for prom. Except this was the mafia version of it.

"Hi," I said, feeling shy all of a sudden as I stepped before him. His mouth was wide open, and his eyes roamed my body like he was undressing me and taking me all in. "Is it too revealing?" The dress was not just backless; it had a long slit that reached my mid-thigh. I hesitated to get it at first, but Phoebe gave me the final push, saying that it suited my body shape and did not overwhelm me like the other dresses I tried on before.

After a few seconds of fidgeting with my fingers, not knowing what to do, he stepped closer, placed his hands on my back, and kissed my forehead. "Amore, even if it's too revealing, I don't care. You can wear whatever you want. I know how to fight." His words made me crumble into little pieces. His husky voice was so attractive, and his face was too perfect to be real.

I did not know what to say except nod and smile. "You look beyond sexy, too beautiful for this filthy world, and most importantly, fully mine as I am fully yours."

"Ugh, stop! You are making my knees like jello. You are too smooth with your words. I don't know what to say except that you are too good to be true. I love you, Dario."

"I love you, Jolene." He dipped his head a bit and kissed me gently. His hands roamed my back, and I felt every inch of his fingers draw circles on it. The kiss got heated as he grabbed my leg with the slit and wrapped it around his waist. I refrained from running my hands through his hair as it was slicked back. I did not want to ruin it, so I cupped his cheeks and deepened the kiss.

When his hand reached my breast, I snapped out of it. I had to stop him. "Dario, we need to go," I remarked, breathless yet unsatisfied.

He kissed my neck rather harshly and sighed. "I know, baby, but I don't want to," he whispered, rubbing a part of my neck just above my collarbone. "At least I marked you for the day."

My eyes widened. "You did what?" I yelled as I ran to the mirror. "You gave me a hickey! It's so apparent, and I can't hide it with my hair, Dario!" I wanted to kick his ass.

"No need to hide it. Let every man there know you just arrived after an intimate moment with your man. Shall we go, my lady?"

~~~

"Nice hickey," Phoebe commented when we exited the car and headed inside the humongous building. I blushed since she said it loud enough for his mafia men to hear, and they whistled, smirking like hyenas. They never wasted a second if they had the chance to tease their don, and lately, me.

"Stai zitto, cazzo," Dario shouted, and they shut up but were still smiling. "Now listen up, we are the hosts today. Be hospitable, don't be rude, and tell me if someone is having or creating a problem. I don't want unnecessary drama. It is a national event; wars can happen if things go south. Be on your best behavior and do me proud." His voice bombed since the hall was still empty. His men's demeanor changed from playful to business, making me forget about the hickey and take a deep breath.

"I am nervous," I heard Diana say to Fabio as she clutched his arm like her life depended on it.

He kissed her forehead and smiled. "Don't be, tesoro. I am here with you. Stay by my side at all times." 

They are adorable.

"Bambi, let's stand by the door. In about a minute, guests will enter, and we must greet them." Dario led me to the main entrance, and he made me stand inside as he stood outside for protection reasons. I was capable of defending myself, and he knew it. He could not help but feel overprotective.

"If someone makes rude remarks toward me or you, I won't hold back," I warned, and he nodded.

"Thanks for the heads up, but I won't let anyone disrespect my woman," he replied as the first couple exited a Lambo. The woman was gorgeous and elegant and resembled the man beside her. Both were like characters from a fairy tale. So surreal.

"Izan, it is so nice to see you, man!" Dario gave the man a brotherly hug, and I smiled at the woman and then shook her hand.

"My name is Camila Guerrero, Izan's sister. It's so nice to meet you," she introduced herself, and I smiled at her soft tone. She was too delicate and beautiful.

"Welcome to Italy, Camila and Izan. I am Jolene Hansley, Dario's girlfriend."

Izan looked at Dario with wide eyes, and Dario smiled. "She's my woman, yes, Izan. I have finally found her," Dario's reply made me swoon, but I remained composed.

"Girlfriend? Not wife?" Camila asked with raised brows as she pointed at my ring. I forgot about it.

"It's a long story. I will fill you in later. I am assuming you are staying here for at least a week," Dario remarked as he placed his hand on my back, sending shivers down my spine. He was too possessive for his own good.

"Of course, I need to catch up with my best friend here, and one Ball is not enough. We will see you around. It was so nice to meet you, Jolene," Izan replied as he held his sister's arm and entered the Ball.

I looked at Dario, and he knew what I was about to ask. "He's the Spanish Mafia Boss, my long-distance best friend. You will love his sister, she is sassy and smart. You will get along well."

"Oh, I love her already," I teased as the second couple exited a car. We welcomed them in, like the rest of the couples from around the world. Russians, Americans, British, Germans, and more were here, and I was pressured to appear a certain way. Like a Mafia Donna... I did not know what to feel about such a title.

As we were about to enter, thinking that this was it, another car pulled over, and whoever got out of it made Dario freeze beside me. I took a closer look and saw a man who looked like Atlas but much older. It was his father, the Brambilla Don. However, the woman was the one to catch my attention.

She was the spitting image of Enola.

"Che cazzo ci fai qui?" Dario's harsh tone confirmed my suspicion.

His mother.

~~~ 

6.11.2023 

Ohhh, things are getting heated! 

I hope you liked this chapter.

Dinner with the Mafia ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें