Chapter 48

Dario 

I sat properly next to my Bambi and wore my shirt again. I preferred not, but her best friend was a pain in my ass. "Next time Phoebe, ring the fucking doorbell! Who gave you the keys anyway?" I exclaimed as I sighed with frustration when Jolene's guilty face met mine. I needed to stay calm. "You are spending too much time with Abramo to get his unruly habits, Phoebe," I added when I saw him standing behind her with a smug expression on his nasty face. 

I looked at my Bambi to check if she was covered, and I nodded in satisfaction when I saw her clenching my jacket hard. I only get to see her naked... even if I had to wait long. I was a patient man.

"If Phoebe is the godmother, then I should be the godfather. It's only fair now that I have witnessed such a horrifying act," Abramo snickered and placed his arm around Pheobe's shoulders so casually. 

Both of them had the same look. 

I sighed, already sensing a headache coming my way. Bambi looked at Abramo with a scary expression. "First, I am pretty damn sure you enjoyed the show. Second, if you say a word to the others, I will skin you alive, boil your leftovers, and toss them in the trash for the falcons so they can poop you in the ocean." My girl's threats kept getting better and better.

She never ceases to amaze me.

Abramo rolled his eyes and smiled, unbothered by Jolene's death glare. "Now, fix yourself up, Don, Donna. We bought food, and I want to eat while it's hot." He showed us the bags, and Phoebe went to the dining room. He instantly followed her like a puppy with a look that made me realize something worth teasing him for.

He likes Phoebe.

"Did you see how he looks at my best friend?" Bambi asked once they were out of earshot as if reading my mind.

"Yes, he is smitten by her," I confirmed with a smirk, and we wore our clothes properly and fixed our hair. "Next time, there will be no distractions. You will finish what you intended to do," I remarked as I looked at my zipper. Her blushing crimson cheeks made me laugh so hard. "You are so adorable, Bambi."

"Let's go eat before it gets cold."

~~~

After a few hours of talking, eating, and watching movies, Phoebe retired to her room. Abramo went home after Lazlo teased him over the phone. I may have texted him during dinner with a picture of Abramo looking at Phoebe like a love-struck puppy.

I took a much-needed long cold shower when Jolene entered her room. After I was done and wore a shirt and sweatpants, I lightly knocked on her door. It was two in the morning, so I did not expect her to be awake. However, to my surprise, a soft invitation was heard, and I entered her dimly lit room. "Hey," she yawned, patting the empty spot beside her. "You can't sleep?"

I laid down next to her to cuddle, missing her touch. She released a relaxed sigh. "I did not try to sleep because I knew I couldn't fall asleep without you in my arms," I replied.

She chuckled, and the sound of her joy was music to my ears. "You are one sappy smooth motherfucker, you know that?"

"Only to you."

She laid her body on my stomach, crossed her arms, and placed her chin on her arms as she stared at me. "What?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

"You know we started out as enemies, right?" she said with a smile. I wrapped my arms around her delicate, soft body, feeling satisfied with my life, even if it was still chaotic and dangerous. I did not give a fuck about what was happening outside this room at that moment. I just enjoyed her company.

"I never saw you as my enemy. Maybe a pain in my ass, but never my enemy."

"Shame because I did." The mischievous glint in her eyes made me recreate the unholy scenes in my head with her. I ran my hand through her luscious hair, and she closed her eyes, purring in satisfaction. "Dario... I-" she was interrupted by my ringing phone.

"Oh, for fuck's sake! Can't we have a moment together without any type of interruptions?" I groaned as I reached the nightstand to grab my phone. I looked at the caller ID and frowned.

"What's wrong?" she asked, and I sat up. I wanted to kill someone.

"No caller ID..."

"Answer it."

I put it on speaker because we both pretty much knew who it was. A person with no life. "Dario Romano, you finally decided to pick up your phone?" Atlas' annoying voice ruined my happy mood, and I wanted to break my phone but decided against it. My phone was more valuable than him. Anything was more valuable than him, even shit.

"The fuck do you want?" I asked, still trying not to lash out at him before he stated his purpose for calling me. He usually called Jolene, but not today. He wanted me to know what he was up to in the shadows.

"You know what I want. I want your wife—my Jolene. I will have to take her by force since you are stubborn and won't hand her over so willingly. You won't see me coming, but you will definitely feel it. In less than a month. Count your days."

I looked at my woman. She was pale as snow, but her hands were typing so fast on her laptop that I did not catch up. "Don't talk about her like she's an object, you son of a bitch. I would rather die than have you touch a single strand of her hair."

"We will see about that. I know she is listening and trying to hack her way to my location, but it's impossible. Bye, for now. See you in less than a month!" And he hung up.

"Shit. That son of a motherfucking bitch! The firewall he built is unbreachable. It sucks to be outsmarted by a jackass!" She placed her laptop on the table and laid back on the bed in defeat.

I held her in my arms again but was spooning her body from behind this time. "Atlas said he will see us in less than a month." 

We both knew what that meant.

"The Annual Mafia Ball is in less than a month."

~~~ 

25.10.2023 

I hope you liked this chapter! 

Comment your favorite classical novel :)