i. announcement

MONACO, FEBRUARY 11TH 2022

espn.com/f1/marlawebberconfirmed/article
12:37
posted 6mins ago!

MARLA WEBBER CONFIRMED TO DRIVE FOR RED BULL 2022

MARLA WEBBER has just been announced by CHRISTIAN HORNER as the second driver for RED BULL for the upcoming F1 season

MARLA WEBBER has just been announced by CHRISTIAN HORNER as the second driver for RED BULL for the upcoming F1 season. confirming the move from WILLIAMS, the daughter of nine time grand prix winner MARK WEBBER has found herself a new spot on the grid after SERGIO PEREZ'S injury which happened over the christmas break leaving the red bull seat open.

following in her father's footsteps and becoming a red bull driver, originally marla was being signed as the test and reserve driver for the 2022 season after losing her seat at williams but due to the spot opening up, negotiations were said to have begun a few weeks into february before the first round of testing in her home country of spain.

expectations are high for the young driver, as she is the only female driver on the grid now driving for a top team. read red bull's official statement below......

MARLA SHOT UP FROM MAX'S couch, as she read through the articles about her announcement of joining the grid. she had known for a just under a month about her being the second driver for red bull but now it was beginning to feel very real with the news breaking.

"max! it's out, if official!" she shouted to her teammate who was currently in the kitchen sorting out their lunch. "i think i'm going to throw up," she muttered as she scrolled through her phone which was now blowing up. max rolled his eyes, bringing the plates over, "you're so dramatic," he huffed.

marla and max had been friends for years and with their respective family members being in formula one themselves they were constantly around each other. when marla finally got a seat on the grid the pair had gotten closer.

"and don't torture yourself on twitter," he said snatching her phone from her hands and throwing it to the other side of the couch. marla groaned, stabbing her fork into her salad aggressively. the pair ate in silence, the webber's head full of doubts and second guessing the upcoming grand prix.

the monaco sun streamed through max's windows, marla's gaze left the television and towards the horizon. marla loved living monaco, it was hard being away from her family but with her dad still working in the motorsport industry and her mum and step dad making the time to visit at grand prix weekends she seen them often during the season. for her it made sense living in monte carlo as majority of her friends on the grid took up residence in the small country.

"you know you frown when you think too hard," max muttered casually, an amused expression on his face. marla opened her mouth to argue but just sighed, "i just.. what if i fuck it up? crash during free practice not even make it to qualifying," she finally admitted her worries.

max understood her worries, he came into red bull at eighteen and people were doubtful but max had proved them wrong. what he wouldn't understand is being the only woman on the grid, and what that would come with.

"you'll be great, and if anything happens you've got me, and your dad to talk too," he hummed nudging her shoulder lightly, trying to comfort his friend. "thanks max," she smiled nudging him back softly.

max33verstappen just tweeted!
15:23

max verstappen | max33verstappen
excited to start the season with @/marlawebber next to me, it's gonna be a good year

582 replies, 6,487 retweets, 22.8k likes

marlawebber just tweeted!
15:32

marla | marlawebber
dream come true, dream team right here @/redbullracing & @/max33verstappen

phoeb | phoebewills
MY BEST FRIEND EVERYONE!! ILYSM
marla | alonsomarla
🫶🏻🫶🏻

one | user1
congrats marla!

two | user2
excited to see her and max together in the paddock

kimi | user289
well done kiddo
marla | marlawebber
thanks kimi, miss you 🥲

three | user3
she only got the seat cause of her dad

four | user4
excited to see you racing again

fernando alonso | alo_official
so proud of you, will see you back on the grid soon 🏎️
marla | marlawebber
gracias 🙏🏻 love you

five | user5
poor checo but at least marla finally gets a good shot at winning now

six | user6
can't wait to see marla bully these boys like their karting days

lewis hamilton | lewishamilton
congratulations marla, see you on the grid
marla | marlawebber
🫡 see you soon champ