Part 12

L

I didn't even think to be embarrassed or ashamed until Jennie stopped in the foyer. All I was thinking was that I was done leaving her alone. I don't have a good feeling about any of this shit and I just want to keep her close. I never considered what she'd think of my place though. Or what she'd think of me.

"Welcome home," I tell her as I toss my keys onto the skinny kitchen counter next to the pile of unopened mail I got yesterday.

There's a sofa, a coffee table, and a TV. Nothing else in this room. It's never looked bare before, until now. It's never felt like it was lacking in any way until I see Jennie not moving from where she is.

The sofa came with throw pillows I didn't like, so I tossed them out, but there's a standard bed pillow and an old blanket in a heap on the far end of the sofa. That's where Mashiho sleeps when he needs a place to crash.

This house is small, with only one bedroom and the kitchen is the size of a freaking dime, directly across from the living room. But I paid with cash and I own it. That's the only thing I was looking for when I knew I needed to leave my ma's old place. There was too much shit there. Too much of the past cluttering and smothering my every thought.

"Not what you expected?" I ask her dully and keep walking to the sofa to take off my shoes.

I have a nice car and nice threads for when I need them. All my cash is hidden in the floorboard under my cabinet sink. I don't spend anything I don't have to. You never know when you may need to run, and I'll have the cash for that, make no mistake about it.

"You're such a woman. You could at least grab a candle at the corner store or something. Maybe hang a picture?" she suggests, and her lips pull up into a teasing smile.

She finally walks into the room, kicking off her shoes next to mine and slipping into the side of the sofa Mashiho usually takes. She goes to grab his blanket, but I stop her. It's weird seeing her gravitate to his things. And to want his things.

"You can have the bed," I offer her and then add, "That's Mashiho's stuff."

"Oh." A shyness spreads through her expression as she gently pushes it away. "Sorry," she adds and then clears her throat. "Do you have a throw for out here?" she asks.

"You like being under the covers, don't you?" I ask teasingly, and it makes her smile as she nods. I like that. I like how I can make her smile. I like that even when she's worked up and upset. When her mind is wandering to disturbing things, I can make her smile and give her something to take away the pain.

"Let me grab you the other blanket," I say as I stand up. There's a small linen closet outside of the bathroom, and I have my old blanket in there.

"I don't know that the Cross boys like me much," she tells me from the living room even though I can barely hear her in here.

I just washed the blanket the other night and I can still smell the laundry detergent as I bring it out to her. "Why would you think that?" I ask her and play dumb even though I know why she would.

"My mom was kind of into their dad once, and couldn't take a hint," she says softly, but cheers up when she sees my blanket. "Ninja Turtles?"

A huff of comforting humor leaves me as I nod.

"You aren't your mom. They know that," I say to try to ease her worries.

"Yeah, but..." she starts to say, but I shake my head and she trails off, waiting patiently to hear what I'm going to tell her. She brushes a lock of hair behind her ear and snuggles into the sofa, resting her head on the back cushion.