13

"So, you not gon eat?" Scar questioned her at the table.

"I'm not all that hungry right now..." Ni said, picking over her food.

"You wanna go home or sum?" He asked, tilting his head.

"Yeah, I do." She replied, looking up at him.

"I'll take you later princess, just spend the day with me." He held her hand, reassuring her.

Tanija found that hard to believe, but she chose to trust him anyway. Maybe he did change, in some odd way.

She placed a paper towel over her food and sat it in the microwave to eat later.

"Ima go lay down." Ni shrugged and walk back to the room.

She picked up her phone and read her missed messages.

Rhiauna💓
11:29 AM

girlll, wya?? we need details

i'll be home later on

sooo did the date go well?

Ni wasn't sure what to say so she locked her phone and threw it beside her. She squeezed her eyes shut and wished everything would
just go away.

"What you in here doing." Scar bursted in the room, startling Tanija.

"Nothing..." Ni replied.

"Obviously something youn got no business, what you jump for?" Scar asked, walking closer to her.

"You just scared me." Ni shrugged, sitting up in the bed.

"Yea, aight. Get up, we finna go." He demanded, putting on his shoes and grabbing his keys.

"Where we going?" Ni asked, getting out of bed as she followed behind him.

"You'll see." He replied, holding the front door open for her as she walked out.

He walked in front of her so he could open the passenger door. For some reason he was being real kind.

"Thanks." Ni flashed a smile.

He smiled back at her with those pretty white teeth, and a set of golds at the bottom. His skin was real clear, flashing his golden brown skin in the sun. He had a fresh cut and his curls were perfectly tamed. For a minute, Ni took notice to those small little details. The way his eyebrows exposed his true feelings as he talked. That one curl that sticks up higher than the rest. His light freckles that can only be seen in the sun. He was perfect to her... well at least he used to be before he turned violent.

"What's on your mind?" Scar asked genuinely which snapped Ni back into reality. He was already driving with one hand on the wheel.

"You. I really want to know why. What was the reason for everything?" Ni felt herself getting angry.

"We were perfect...I mean we had the picture perfect life. What the hell happened to you?!" She snapped.

"You want me to start from the beginning?" Scar glanced over at her.

"Mhm." Ni hummed, folding her arms across her chest. She couldn't wait to hear his bullshit excuse.

"Alright, Ima be vulnerable." He shrugged and pulled off into a parking lot. He parked the car and looked over at Ni.

"Yeah, everybody wanted the life we had, except the only people I seek validation from...My parents. They start telling me how my people don't like your people, and how you're a bad influence and I should just let you go. Throw everything we had away. They gave me an ultimatum; let you go, or move out and stand on my decision. After that I started drinking and smoking, going out every night trying not to face reality. And I guess I built up so much resentment I just took it all out on you..." He said, leaving a deafening silence.

"3 years in jail, got out in 2 1/2 off good behavior. The whole time I thought about you, wondered if you had moved on, if you had changed. I should've chosen you regardless, my parents ain't even visit nor called not once while I was stuck behind them 4 walls. I let down the only motherfucker that actually gave a fuck." Scar paused and sucked his teeth.

Ni couldn't help but notice the tears forming in his eyes as he fought to hold them back. He tried so hard to be dominant all the damn time.

"Aww." Ni poked her lip out and placed her hand on his cheek.

"I'm so sorry, Tanija. I let myself go." He squeezed his eyes shut and a tear fell.

She knew that he trusted her, and it was possible he meant every word. It was the first time he'd ever cried in front of her.

"I'm not saying what you did was right, but I know who I fell in love with. I never let him go." Ni said, holding onto him.

"Just one more chance, Ni. I swear on my life I got you." Scar promised her looking into her eyes.

...