Chapter Four: Snakes

A/n: thanks for 50 reads y'all 🥳❤️
and don't forget to vote🙂

Baila's POV

Flip. Flip. Flip.

Goddamit. Why am I finding it hard to focus. I'm not usually distracted. I'm always focused. But ever since the incident with Leely, my mind has been occupied unnecessarily. I was always chasing one train of thought or the other.

I'm in class tonight to study. I came before Maghrib and I intend to go back to my hostel after Isha. But I'm so freaking distracted.

Leely and her clique, when I say her clique I mean them Godiya and Co. It seems as if they had come to study, but all they've been doing for the past one hour has been boy talk so far. Instagram hotties and their unrealistic fantasies.

"An orphan who's life is slowly crumbling" her voice coursed into my brain again. I think ever since she told me this, I've heard it rering in my ears like one thousand times. What exactly did she mean? I found myself fretting for her...

Was she suffering from a terminal disease?

Was she going to die?

Is something bad going to befall her?

I unconsciously found my eyes trailing towards her. The seat she and her friends were sitted were a few rows in front of me. I have a thing for sitting in the back by the way. I hate being noticed and sitting in front just makes you prone to being noticed. When our eyes met, Leely gave me one of those her classic smiles and continued talking with her friends. She had one of her bag handle slung on her shoulder which indicated that she's not here to stay for long.

Remember I mentioned that she might probably never talk to me again? Turns out I was wrong. Ever since that day, Leely would always wave and smile at me like she does everyone else. It made me feel precious and appreciated. If anything, she appreciates my availability for her on that day when she had no one. I wonder where all of her friends were at that time. Oh, we were having praticals.

Though something about her friends just feels off. I just feel like they're hypocrites. All four of them, especially that Godiya whom she's closest with among them four. She's so black and ugly. I don't even know who had blackmailed her into thinking she'd be attractive if she showcased her fat ass. She's always wearing body con dresses and shaking them asses like a freaking slut. I even wonder why no one is complaining because our school is actually a conservative school. The owner of our school is a very decent lady and it's inscribed in the school rules that decency is core in this space. I don't know why she thinks Sokoto is like Taraba where she's from that she'd be behaving anyhow.

That Godiya of a girl really ticks me off. And she's so ugly. Her presence frankly makes me nauseous. I wonder how such a sweet soul like Leely vibes with a clearly lousy person like Godiya.

Anyways, I've been craving for Leely to expantiate to me what she meant by that her final statement to me the other day, but I don't even know how to reach her. The only thing I have is her TikTok account and she has so much followers I doubt she even checks her dms for me to slide into her dm. I always see her around in school too but I feel weird approaching her especially since she's always around people. I don't want them to give a "what the hell does this weirdo want from Leely" look, or embarrass her since I'm still not sure she'd want to talk to me in public considering the circumstance that caused us to start talking. She might still be feeling awkward of me for all I know.

And then what I want to ask is very sensitive. It wouldn't be appropriate at all to ask her in public. Which brings us to the question. How do I get to be alone with her like the other time? It's really bugging me. I really want to know. I hope she's not dying cause I don't want her to die. I can already imagine how it'll shake this whole school and shake me too.