Chapter 6 - Ian

Cheer practice lets out at the same time as football practice every single day. And every single day after leaving the locker room, I find Rue Barlow standing right next to the doors. I know she's waiting just for me because I have to deal with the same routine over and over again.

A new routine, sure, but it's been going on all fucking month and she has yet to take a fucking hint.

I avoid any eye contact with her but to no avail. She trails after me as I walk towards the senior parking lot.

"Hey, Ian!" Rue is basically running towards me. She can't really run with those high heeled boots on, putting her at eye level to me. I don't really care about height but if she's trying to seduce me, then she's doing a shit job at it.

It's not to say that I don't have a type—everyone has a type, whether they deny it or not—but even I could point out that Rue is objectively good-looking. A lot of football players would, if given the chance, go out with her, fuck her, all that jazz. I can't say the same thing anymore.

I keep walking at a steady fast pace to my car but she's still behind me, like a lost cat wandering the streets at night. "Ian!" She eventually is right by my side, twirling her long brown hair in her hand and I have to stop walking. Guess it's time for another round of rejection.

For her, not for me.

"Finally," she says, catching her breath as she slows her pace and comes to a stop after reaching me. "I've been meaning to ask you something. So, do you know—"

I turn to face her. "Rue. I don't want to sound like a jerk but I've got something really important to do in the next few minutes." I check the clock on my phone. I need to be at home pretty soon if I'm going to make it in time.

"Don't worry, it won't take long." She starts to fan herself. "A friend was asking if you were busy after the game tomorrow."

I raise a brow. "Is that friend you, by any chance?"

She scoffs. "No. Do you really think I would name drop? You should know me better than that, Ian."

Despite having gone to the same school as Rue for the past three or more years, I don't really know much about her. We're not close, if you can count Enzo Rivera's party last July where we may have locked ourselves in a room together. On purpose. But nothing other than kissing occurred.

I just know that she's one of Sophia's best friends and co-captain of the varsity cheer team. We've had no classes together—at least until this year—and I've felt no other attraction other than a passing moment. But she should have known what she was getting into that night.

"Sorry, Rue," I tell her for what seems to be the fourth time this week. "Even if I wanted to, I can't. Need to be on my A-game this year."

"You can do that with a date," she says, taking a step closer to me. "That hasn't stopped you before."

Well, it sure as hell is stopping me now. Senior year means I need to learn some self-control. I love jumping off the rocks as much as the next person, and I've definitely pulled many harmless pranks on Coach Davis in the past, but that's about it. The only reason I get called a wild child is from the long line of hookups I've had that go as far back as sophomore year. Yeah, that long. But Rue was the last girl I was with.

"I hate to break it to you, but it's stopping me this time." I push past Rue and head towards the drivers side of my very old, dark gray, Toyota Corolla. Before I open the door, Rue taps me on the shoulder, urging me to turn around.

"You know, if you had started dating someone," she says. "You could have just said that."

I hold back an eye roll. "Would that have stopped you?"