Chapter 33 - Attie

I close my locker door immediately before turning to face Sierra. We decided to meet up along with our secretary and treasurer to discuss the details regarding tomorrow's club meeting. Even though the end-of-the-year project is underway, there's the matter of finances and scheduling...technically everything else. Since the beginning of the month, we've been laser-focused on our little animation project. It's nothing crazy—just to help newcomers adjust to how the next semester will work—but I'm excited to see the end product.

"So, there's still the movie night we're hosting before winter break," Sierra says. "Do you think the ICC department will let us stay past sunset then?"

I shrug. "We have to talk to Cameron about that."

The meeting goes off without a hitch but I feel like everyone is speaking at a sloth's pace. Possibly because my mind drifts off to Saturday night more than once. I still fill in little details and ask questions but that's about as much as I can handle. Sierra's more active in these settings than I am.

To say that Saturday was possibly one of the best days I've ever had would be pretty damn accurate. In my sixteen years of living on this planet, I've never snuck out of my house.

I can only describe it in one word: invigorating.

From learning how to surf (terribly but nonetheless) to telling Ian about what happened with Chase—and even kissing him? I kissed him. Not the other way around. I didn't have a reason to kiss him nor did I need one.

No dares.

No audience.

Just me, him, and the shining stars above us. I swear I could hear them clapping when it all happened.

I couldn't tell Amy about everything as soon as I got back home because I technically wasn't allowed to use my phone since I was and am still grounded (whoops). Even now, she's blissfully unaware of that night.

Side note: I could have told her. However, I didn't have the chance and just wanted to keep that little moment to myself. Does that sound selfish?

If so, then why don't I care?

I play with the mouse headband I took off at the beginning of the meeting. Today marks the first day of homecoming spirit week. Also known as today, this theme requires us to dress like animals. I don't know whose idea it was to do this but I like spirit days and don't mind dressing up, so I borrowed Jason's old Mickey Mouse ears from our one and only trip to Disneyland and wore all brown to look like Jerry the Mouse.

The clever mouse from Tom and Jerry. I used to love that show when I was a kid.

"Attie?" Sierra's voice brings me out of the little bubble of thoughts. I look up to find four pairs of eyes staring at me.

My cheeks heat up. "Yeah?"

"Did you want to present the project?"

Oh, right. I'm usually the one who comes up with the original idea before the rest of the club members either tweak or add to it. If things go accordingly, the project will be done by spring and can be entered into a short film competition.

I reach into my backpack and pull out a piece of scratch paper that I drew on for the meeting, as I had no time to go to Michaels and buy a new sketchbook.

You know, being grounded and all.

Mrs. Johnson, our club advisor, chimes in whenever needed and we wrap up a few minutes earlier than planned.

Thank the gods for that because I am so hungry that I could eat a fucking Trojan horse.

I wave goodbye to the rest of the board members before heading in the direction of the cafeteria. There should be enough time to grab lunch but I don't think I can finish it before math.