Chapter 7 - Attie

I used to like Fridays. It always meant the weekend is nearby, I can stay up late, and Jason's usually on a date so I don't have to hear his shitty singing voice every time the Beatles or Panic! At the Disco plays in the background.

Now, however? I hate them.

And that's solely due to the quiz that me, Jason, and Amy have to endure in our physics class. At least we'll get to suffer together. Right?

The moment Amy hands me the stack of blank quizzes, I take one and pass the rest back to Jason, who has a neutral expression on his face, but I just know he's quietly tapping his left foot underneath the desk. It's a nervous tick he has. Without his ritalin, it wouldn't just be the tapping foot. It would be the tapping finger on his desk, grinding his teeth on his mechanical pencil, and clicking the bottom eraser over and over again until the teacher calls him out for it.

His ADHD has always been pretty bad when we were younger. But when he's nervous? It's so much worse. I don't understand why, though. My brother is honestly one of the smartest people I know. Could easily be at the top of the class if he wanted to. I'm not just saying that because we're related.

I'm looking over one question, then skipping to the other when I start to hear someone whispering. I turn my head to the right slightly to find a pair of unfamiliar eyes that I don't recognize staring back at me.

Bro. If you're trying to get answers off someone's quiz, then look behind you.

I tilt my head back to signal that they should be looking over Jason's shoulder instead of mine, but the person just keeps staring at me. I start to feel just a tiny bit uncomfortable and try to focus back on the test. I know that physics is only math on steroids, but I think I might be fucked.

Who in their right mind even invented the pop quiz? I genuinely hope they are burning in the pits of Tartarus right now.

I'm only halfway through the quiz when I see Jason place his quiz on Mr. Ali's desk. What the hell?? How did he finish so fast? And why did he get all the brains in the womb and leave none for me? That's unfair.

I narrow my eyes at Jason as he turns around and walks back to his desk. All he responds with is a mediocre shrug, as if to say, what can you do?

This asshole...

Correction: this smart asshole...

I finally reach the last question, which is multiple choice, and I silently cheer to myself. Most of the quiz was open ended, with the exception of two other questions. By the time I've turned in my quiz, there are still a few other seniors and a couple juniors taking the quiz. I understand why the class is mostly seniors now. I'm starting to regret taking this class.

Once I turn around, I find more than just a pair of eyes staring right back at me. Almost everyone except Jason and Amy are staring right at me, as if I'm a question on that physics quiz they are trying to solve. They seem to be mostly seniors, and I start feeling a little squeamish.

Nope. Attie, they are just eyes. If you look away, you won't see them.

I try my best to ignore the stares as I head back to my desk. Once I sit down, a piece of paper drops onto my desk. When I unfold it, it reads:

Y tf is everyone staring at u? - A

We're not allowed to use our phones in class. Disadvantages of having a really young teacher who could sniff out texting like a hellhound. At least he can't smell paper.

When I look up, I see Amy's hair pushed to the side, and her eyes are trained on me. Her brows are furrowed, as if she's just as confused as I feel. I shrug, and she turns back around. We're not doing anything the rest of the period, so I just take out my notebook and start sketching out ideas for the next project. If they don't get chosen for our first meeting of the year in a couple of weeks, then I can always add them to my portfolio.