Chapter 36 - Attie

I spent the past five minutes wandering around Michaels with no set destination until I find myself in the painter's aisles. I scan each shade in front of me, grabbing one bottle after the other before placing it back on the shelf. There are only so many colors on display.

"Are you going to buy any of that?"

I turn away from the display to find Derek standing across from me in the aisle. "Maybe." It's the first time in a while that we've hung out without either one of our brothers interfering. "What happened to Jason?"

He shrugs. "I lost him."

I laugh. "You lost Jason in a Michaels?"

Derek nods, a blush creeping onto his face. "I know, I know. How irresponsible of me."

This makes me laugh even harder and Derek follows suit. We both know my brother all too well. The reason he's hardly ever alone isn't only due to how social he is—it's because he's like a dog without a leash. Let the leash go, and you lose him.

Don't keep an eye on Jason, you will lose him. It's easy to lose track of my brother. It makes me wonder how we're even twins. Until I am reminded of the home-birth video Mom showed me and all my doubts get thrown out the window.

"Did you check the exit?" I ask in between laughs.

He nods. "Wasn't there." He laughs for a little longer before sobering up. "Honestly, I kind of just wanted to talk to you. Without Jason."

"Kind of?"

"It's important." He looks down both sides of the aisle, likely checking for anyone nearby. "It's about Ian."

Right then and there, my head and heart drops. Where is Jason when you need him? I do not want to talk or think about Ian at all. Especially now, when my heart feels more sore than my shoulder would after a tetanus shot. Or any stunt pulled in Phineas and Ferb.

"What about Ian?" I turn away from Derek and force my attention on a big bottle of titanium white paint. "We broke up. The End. There's nothing to talk about." No one lived happily ever after.

"He told me everything."

"He did?!" My voice cracks loudly and I slap my hand over my mouth. That was embarrassing.

I clear my throat and lower my voice. "I mean, he did?"

"Yep, on Monday." Derek runs a hand through his dark hair and I only notice how similar he is to his brother. Sure, they don't look alike but their mannerisms are the same.

I shouldn't have let Jason invite Derek along. Hanging out with one Bale brother after breaking up with the other isn't helping me overcome any feelings I harbored for Ian. Then again, I've spent the last two nights watching the All Too Well Short Film and listening to the designated heartbreak album: the Tortured Poets Department. Who's to say I'm completely numb? At least I can feel something whilst watching the film and listening to music.

"I'm kind of glad it wasn't a love note but—"

"Doesn't matter," I interrupt. "It's over between me and him."

Instead of shutting his mouth, Derek silently watches me for a minute before asking, "Is it?"

Yes! "Why are you asking?"

He shrugs. "I'm just trying to get a grasp on the whole "fake relationship" thing because it's kinda odd."

I focus my attention on the red bottle of paint behind me because I don't want to think or talk about this. I did need some paint because I ran out of titanium white acrylic last night when I was avoiding my weekly physics homework but I could use some more colors.