Chapter 5

As if the events of that night could get any more peculiar, the Potters now found out that one of their best friends is an escaped convict. "Why... why were you in prison?"

"On the night that you were killed..." Remus began, "You were betrayed. That's how Voldemort knew where you were. It was... Peter Pettigrew who sold you out..."

"What?" James was stunned, "But... Peter was our friend..."

"I know..." Remus nodded sympathetically. "I just found out the truth myself a few months ago. I was just as stunned as you are."

"Pettigrew wasn't the one who was blamed though." Dumbledore nodded his head towards Sirius, "He left behind a severed finger, to make it look like he was dead. This pushed all of the blame on Sirius who was then imprisoned for his alleged crimes."

Sirius balled up his fists, "That rat has been pretending to be the pet of that Weasley boy for years! When I escaped, I tried to capture him, to prove my innocence, but he got away..."

"Harry and Hermione, that's one of his friends," Remus explained, "rescued him from dementors. I was... preoccupied as it was a full moon... he has been staying with me ever sense as we try to track down Pettigrew."

"You both have been through so much..." Lily ran over and hugged them both.

"Wait a second..." James looked up at Dumbledore, "If we're both alive, then that means that Sirius wouldn't have been able to betray us."

Dumbledore's eyes widened, "Why... you're right... With you being alive, Sirius will be a free man..." they all hugged each other again. "Although, I would suggest waiting just a little bit longer before we go public with your return."

Sirius nodded, "Dumbledore's right. As much as I would like to be free as soon as possible, we should give some time for some of your other friends and Harry for that matter to be accustomed with your return."

Remus nodded, "Yes, I know this will obviously be a shock for him."

"So where has he been staying?" James asked, "Who raised our son?"

Dumbledore wouldn't meet his eyes, "Well, with Sirius' imprisonment, and the ministry not allowing people with Remus' condition to foster children, I didn't have many options... Harry has been staying with his aunt and uncle."

"Petunia?" Lily said in shock.

"You left him with them?!" James stood up in rage. "Those two absolutely hate magic! How could you have left him with those muggles?!"

"I didn't have another choice." Dumbledore said sadly. "immediately after your deaths, no one knew if Voldemort was truly dead or not. I feared that if he came back, he would target Harry again. I left him with his aunt so that he could be protected by the blood wards his familial connection with her would provide. I only had his best interests in mind."

"I know professor..." Lily met his eyes, "My sister and I have had our... disagreements, over the years, but if what Remus and Sirius has said is try, then they must have done something right to raise such an amazing boy."

"When can we see him?" James asked. "When can we take him home?"

Dumbledore chuckled, "I think you may need a new home yourselves before you can take young Harry anywhere."

"Oh, right..." James blushed as they all laughed.

"You three could come to stay with Sirius and I for a while until you get things sorted out." Remus offered.

"We wouldn't be in the way?" Lily asked.

Remus smiled at her fondly, "We have missed you both every day for thirteen years, you'll never be in the way."

"Let's wait to fetch Harry until tomorrow." Dumbledore suggested. "I know you both are excited, but it is getting late and I'm sure we all could use some sleep."

Reluctantly, they all agreed with the older wizard. They said their goodbyes before the four stepped through the fireplace to Remus' house. Tomorrow, would be the start of their new lives with their son...

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading!)