Chapter 27

"So, Potions Professor at Hogwarts? I must say I'm surprised. You were always so wonderful at potions, but I never pegged you as a teacher."

Snape shrugged. Once they had both calmed down a bit, he had made them some tea and they sat by the fire catching up. "After I officially joined the light, we needed a reason to be in contact with one another without it being suspicious. Also, I believe Dumbledore wanted to keep an eye on me. Make sure that he knew exactly where my loyalties lied."

"Speaking of which," Lily spoke up, "I believe I should thank you. Dumbledore said that it was because of your warning that we were placed into hiding."

He looked down at the ground, "A lot of good it did... and I was the one who told Voldemort the prophecy in the first place."

She put her hand on his shoulder, "You were young Severus. We all make mistakes. What matters most, is that you did what was right in the end."

He couldn't meet her eyes, "I highly doubt James would see it like that."

She chuckled, "James can be hardheaded at times, but I think I can convince him to give you a second chance. After all, he was the one tormenting you all those years."

"I suppose a... fresh start... would not be completely unbearable."

"See." She smiled, "I'm sure you've had to go through worse."

He smirked, "For example, your son's potion's grades."

She chuckled, "Yes I have heard all about the 'mean old Professor Snape' from Harry and his friends."

Snape rolled his eyes, "Let me guess, the Weasleys?" she nodded, and he let out a grown, "I will admit, I can be a little..."

"Crotchety?" she supplied, "Grumpy? Irritable?"

"Harsh." He finished and glared at her as she laughed. "But those Weasleys deserve it. Especially the twins. Their older brothers were so much better behaved. I don't know what happened to those two."

"And what about Harry?" She asked quietly, "The kids said you were rather mean to him."

"I... am sorry..." he looked down at his hands. "My actions against the boy... were uncalled for but... he reminded me so much of James and everything that happened between us... I'm sorry..."

"It's ok..." she patted his shoulder, "I understand. I also understand that you have gone to great lengths to protect him over these last few years. So, thank you for that."

He rolled his eyes, "Do tell that boy of yours to stop getting into so much trouble. It really is becoming quite exhausting having to save his life so often."

She laughed, "I'll pass the message along. There is one more thing..."

"What is it?" He watched her as her face became troubled.

"Would you do me a favor and keep an eye on him?" she wiped a tear from her eye, "I know that your relationship is strained, but when James and I came back... we found out some... disturbing things about my sister..."

He scoffed, "Petunia? Disturbed? Who would have guessed? What has she down now?"

"She and Vernon abused Harry."

"...What?"

Lily dabbed at her eyes, "It was awful Severus. The things that they did to him... it was cruel. It was worse than... well, you know..."

And he did know. "I... I never noticed... so many Slytherins pass through my house that are abused and I am able to detect it... but I had no idea..."

He sat there stunned unable to process what she was saying. Never in a thousand years would he have suspected Potter, the Golden boy, to have been abused. What he that blinded by his hatred of his father that he didn't pick up on the signs. Like him or not, he was still his student.

"I'm so sorry..." he broke down again.

"It's alright," Lily put her arm around his shoulder. "He's with us now. He's safe. Just... please keep an eye on him. Make sure he's doing all right."

"After your death..." he began quietly, "I made a promise to Dumbledore, that I would protect Harry. I hated James... but he was all I had left of you. So, I will continue to uphold that promise."

"Thank you Severus..." she said teary eyed.

After a few more minutes, they said their goodbyes. They promised to stay in touch and Lily went on her way. So much could change in just a few years.

(A/N - hey guys, thanks for reading!)