Chapter 25

Even Lily was not able to quell her husband's rage as he stormed into the sitting room. "SNAPE?!" he yelled at the headmaster, "You let Severus Snape become a professor but won't let Remus keep his job?!"

Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall gave each other a look, as the two Weasley's, Sirius, and Remus tried to pretend like they weren't listening.

"He's changed a lot sense your... passing..." Dumbledore said carefully.

"Oh yes, because so many people just stop being Death Eaters!" he said angrily.

"The headmaster is right." Professor McGonagall added. "Severus has been a model Potions Professor."

"Harry said he hates him." Lily glared down at the ground.

"Severus has held some... animosity... towards Harry because of both of your history." Dumbledore looked at James. "But I can assure you, he is no longer a Death Eater. He is a spy for the Order and has been sense before your death. It was his information that let us know that Voldemort was coming for you. He gave us time to hide you. Unfortunately... we never anticipated Pettigrew's treachery..."

"Have you all lost your minds?!" James turned to Sirius and Remus, "You can't seriously be ok with this?!"

Sirius shook his head, "I've never liked Snivilus, you know that. And I liked him even less when I found out how he had been treating Harry. But..." he looked to Remus, "He did try to protect those kids when he thought I was a threat to them. Sure, he was wrong, but he risked his life for Harry's even though he hated him. I have to admit, that is worth something."

"Oh, come on!" James groaned.

"Sirius is right." Dumbledore continued. "Severus has protected Harry from harm on several occasions. Because he made a promise."

"What kind of promise?" Lily asked sadly.

"He promised to protect Harry, no matter the cost." He replied. "After your death, Harry was all he had left of you."

James rolled his eyes, "And why would he care? He called Lily a Mud blood! Why would he care about her?"

Lily and Dumbledore locked eyes, and in that moment, she knew. "He still cares deeply for you..."

*****

Once James had calmed down, he, Sirius, and Remus went off to drink some much-needed Fire Whiskey. The Weasley's and Hermione said their goodbyes and walked back through the floo. Harry said something about going up to his room to read. This left Lily, Professor McGonagall, and Dumbledore alone.

Minerva looked between her colleague and her former pupil, before giving them a small smile. "I'll leave you to it." She too made her exit.

Lily looked up at Dumbledore, "Sit down my dear..."

She did as he asked, "What is it Professor?" even though she already knew.

Dumbledore sat quietly for a moment and watched as the flames danced about in the fireplace. "Harry has no idea you and James were ever acquainted with Severus." He said suddenly. "Severus didn't want him to know, and I thought it best not to tell him. I didn't want his opinion of James to be... tarnished..."

Lily hung her head sadly, "What James did that day... it was wrong... But what Severus said..."

"He hurt you." Dumbledore finished. "He has spoken with me on numerous occasions about how that moment, is the one he regrets most in his life. The loss of your friendship, is partly what led him to become a Death Eater."

"He seriously cannot blame me for that!" She began in rage. "It was his own decision!"

"A decision, which he regrets deeply." He said quietly.

"I don't care if he regrets it!" she had tears in her eyes, "He shouldn't have done it in the first place!"

"Here..." he handed her a handkerchief, and she blotted her eyes. "There's something I wanted to give you."

She reached out her hand and took a small slip of paper from him. "What is this?"

Dumbledore stood up, "I really must be going. If you decide you want to talk, I suggest you consult that piece of paper. Goodnight." And he stepped through the floo.

She turned the paper over in her hand and saw that Severus' address had been written on the back. She tucked the paper into her pocket to be dealt with at a later date.

(A/N - Hey guys, I am SO sorry that this is late. I was out of town and totally forgot. My bad.)