Chapter Four ~ The Black Brothers

(image by @sophithil on ig)

James Potter: Wednesday 3rd September 1975

(21:35pm)

"Regulus?". Regulus turned and their eyes met.

"hello," he murmured. he looked away again.

"are you ok?" James asked. moving to stand beside Regulus. Regulus glanced at him.

"I'm fine," he said. James sighed.

"You asked to meet me here reg, that in itself tells me you're not-".

"I don't want to leave," Regulus snapped, turning to James sharply. James was slightly taken aback but he tried his best to not let it show.

"You don't-? What, Grimmauld Place? Reggie, why don't you want to leave? They hurt you in there!" James cried.

"My mum she... she wants to do life threatening charms on me to become a man and i-".

"What?". James was confused.

He was lost and he had no idea what Regulus was talking about. Regulus would become the heir and create children. He was a boy. He was a man as far as James was concerned.

Wasn't he?

"I was born a girl, Potter. My birth name was not Regulus. My birth name was Asteria. I'm not at all proud of it but now that Sirius is gone, mother wants to help me... fully grow," regulus explained.

James doesn't say anything. he ignores the butterflies in his chest as he looked at regulus.

"but you... so you got breast removal surgery?".

"yes potter I did,".

"so what more does she want from you?".

"well potter as you are a man and I'm not, what do you have that I don't?". James paused.

oh.

"but she can't grow you that! that's dangerous! and it'll change you're whole body and you'll lose too much blood, Reggie!" james cried, stepping forward.

"I know Potter, I'm not exactly unaware of the risks!" regulus snapped.

he started pacing the room and James watched him.

"I don't have a choice. she's already started working on it. something to do with polyjuice potion and a body binding spell. but I don't want to leave. if I leave I've got no where else to go so... I've called you here to bear witness to my suicide,".

James felt his heart stop.

"absolutely not!" James yelled. he grabbed regulus by the wrist as regulus went past him. "regulus please! Sirius will be heartbroken! and I... you can come and stay at mine, my parents won't mind! regulus, please, you can't!". regulus sighed and slowly took his wrist away from James'.

"I don't want to live anymore, potter. and I can't come and stay at your house. it'll only put you and your family in danger," regulus said. James took the boys wrist again, ignoring the look of resentment on Regulus' face.