Chapter 17

Namjoon insisted they let Jungkook sleep for as long as he wanted. While their head alpha claimed it was for the omega's benefit, the rest of the alphas agreed it was more likely he just didn't want to let go.

After several hours the omega started to stir. Seeing him waking up the rest of the pack began preparing to put dinner on the grill while Jungkook remained snuggled with Namjoon.

"I'm sorry I slept so long, I'm sure you had better things to do with your time." Jungkook apologized as he saw the sun was already setting.

"Don't worry little omega, I didn't mind at all. I was perfectly comfortable and it was good for you to rest. I enjoyed reading a book while you were napping."

Jungkook had repositioned himself so his ear was over the alpha's heart, listening to its strong steady rhythm. "What was the story about?" Jungkook asked.

The alpha couldn't help but offer a big dimpled grin even if the omega couldn't see it. He was feeling comfortable enough to start a conversation with an alpha, comfortable enough to ask a question. "It's a mystery that takes place in an art museum where the pieces of art offer clues."

"Mmm, that sounds interesting," Jungkook mumbled out. "Are the characters humans or wolves?"

This question was surprising. It wasn't like wolves never read stories about humans but it was pretty rare. Growing up they only read wolf books in school and learned about wolf history. Since nearly everyone would live in wolf territory and the majority of wolves would never even see a human in real life, it felt obvious to focus on what they knew best.

He tried to hide his surprise as he answered. "It's wolves pup. I guess growing up outside of pack territory you may have had more access to books about humans didn't you. Did you read many books with wolves?"

"Not really, the only books we really had access to were written by humans. My parents didn't really like it when I read books written by non-wolves that had wolf characters because they thought those books often portrayed pack life in a way that wasn't very accurate. Maybe they thought it was better for me to not know than to be misinformed?"

"So did you ever read books with wolf characters? I know you were visiting family in the silver pack territory when Jin found you. Didn't you read those kinds of books there?"

"We only were able to visit a few days a year so there wasn't much time for that kind of thing. I read a few books off my grandparent's bookshelf but that's about it."

"Why didn't you bring wolf books with you when you were back to the city? Didn't your parents give you wolf history books or anything?"

Jungkook squirmed uncomfortably before telling the alpha that it wasn't allowed and then going silent. While Namjoon had no idea what to make of that, he dropped the conversation as he sensed it was moving in a direction that was upsetting to his mate.

"Well you can read all the books you want here pup. If you'd like I'm happy to pick some of my favorites that you can start with. Would you like that?"

Namjoon could feel Jungkook nodding his head yes against his chest. There really was so much they didn't know about this omega. At the same time he remembered the omega also knew so little about them. Maybe tonight they could start to fix that.

As usual Jungkook was quiet during dinner, listening to the alphas talk while he alternated between tuning out and briefly listening in just to see if it might be of interest. So much of what they talked about he didn't really understand but he was far too embarrassed to admit it.

During a longer lull in the conversation Jungkook took the opportunity to speak up. "May I ask a question?"

"Of course," Hobi encouraged him, waiting patiently for the omega to speak again.

"Is this house on pack land? Like are our neighbors wolves or humans?"

"It's a good question pup," Yoongi encouraged him, trying to set him at ease. "Our neighbors are wolves and this land is protected pack territory but it's a bit different from other pack lands. Everyone who lives in this territory has another pack they belong to somewhere else. The people who live here are representatives of other packs working together to govern all wolves. Well I guess except us. When we became the supreme pack we left the packs we grew up in. We became one very small pack of just us seven. Most packs are much larger, hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands."

"Oh, I guess that makes sense. I've never really had a pack before. It was just me and my parents and we never really had that kind of structure."

"Now you do little one. Now you do."

That night was the first night Jungkook was really awake enough to decide who he wanted in the den with him. He bit his lip shyly and then, looking at Jin for reassurance, mumbled out "can we all sleep here together?" A bright red flush immediately overtook his features.

"Sure pup," Jimin assured him immediately. "I think we'd all really like that. Why don't we get ready for bed."

The alphas of the pack generally slept in just their boxers. They ran quite warm and when they were all together it could become quite toasty. When Jungkook returned to find his gathering pack in such a state of undress he squeaked in surprise.

"Come here pup" Hobi held his arms out sensing the issue. "You should wear whatever makes you comfortable, we get warm when we sleep so we tend to keep the house much cooler. We turned the furnace up to ensure you were comfortable but it makes it a bit warm at night for the rest of us."

"Oh, I didn't know, you didn't have to do that for me." Jungkook stared at his fingers which he was nervously playing with.

"We know we didn't have to but we wanted to. It's not that hard for us to adapt but it can be harder for an omega, especially so shortly after the first shift and mating." Hobi gave a warm smile of encouragement. "I know you've been sleeping next to just Jin but you may find when all of us are nearby it helps keep you quite warm too. If it is too much you can take your shirt off, or if you don't feel comfortable doing that some of us can move farther away. As our omega we will all naturally gravitate to you even if we are sleeping."

Jungkook nodded in understanding followed by a big yawn. "Ok baby, it's time to rest and get some sleep."

Hobi laid the omega back down in the center of the den and leaned over to kiss his forehead, lightly brushing their noses together as he pulled back.

All of the alphas took the opportunity to wish their omega a good sleep and sweet dreams before they crowded close around him, listening intently as his breath quickly evened out and he became fully relaxed.

The alphas didn't go to sleep right away. They needed less sleep under any circumstances but particularly compared to what Jungkook needed right now.

They all agreed in whispered voices that the day seemed like a huge success, they would spend the next few days just bonding and relaxing with their final mate. They would have to present themselves to the council of elders again in just three days. They wanted to make the best use of their time possible before then, cementing their bond as tight as possible in light of the likely trauma to come.

Jungkook woke up several times during the night but each time the alpha next to him helped lull him back to sleep, often by guiding the omega directly to their scent gland. By the time morning came the omega felt truly refreshed and was starting to feel a bit more comfortable in the pack. It was the smallest of changes, but everyone celebrated that it was a progress none the less.