Chapter 29

At home the alphas seemed to have one single focus, how could they get their omega back. After eliminating virtually every idea they only had one left. They turned to Jin.

Jin spent all day every day trying to become more precise in his teleporting skills. If he could teleport to Jungkook at least the pack would be comforted by knowing their sweet omega was cared for and doing well.

Unfortunately Jin was having a hard time mastering pinpoint accuracy when he teleported. He was lucky if he ended up on the same block he intended. Teleporting somewhere outside Jungkook's room would be useless, he needed to go directly to the small space they gave the omega.

Each day, each hour the alpha worked on it and nothing else. Frustratingly he became less precise over time, a sure sign of his power weakening the long he was away from their omega. The alphas all knew it would be hard to be away from their final mate. It constantly grated on their soul, this unscratchable itch that required them to be close. But each day away also made it harder for them to use the gifts given to them by the moon goddess herself. All of them felt it, a frustrating lack of capacity after the sudden burst of power only a few weeks previous.

It was particularly vexing because they were still expected to fill the role of the supreme pack, heading off any trouble between wolves and humans and intervening where necessary. Yoongi's gift of being able to discern the truth, Namjoon's intellectual capacity, Jimin's ability to compel, and Taehyung's foresight were all muted, fading away to the background until they could barely be found.

Jin's only consolation was that the pack always selected him as one of the three to spend time with the omega during their brief weekly visits. Everyone hoped even a short time with their omega would adequately recharge Jin's abilities to allow him the ability to teleport with precision.

They were on their fourth week apart when the elder council first refused even the scheduled weekly visit with their omega, claiming it was a distraction to his process. With their already weakened capabilities the supreme pack alphas had no choice but to slink home in disappointment. They were quickly losing any upper hand they had to the elder council and everyone knew it.

What the pack didn't know was the elders had a very specific reason for declining the alpha's visit. Their omega had gone into heat and the council worried the alphas would not willingly leave their omega without a fight.

They were right to be concerned. Any omega in heat would be fiercely protected by their alpha. But an alpha who had been kept from their mate, and alpha in the supreme pack, they were likely to go feral if they were forced apart.

For his part Jungkook was in agony. He'd never had a heat before. Heats only started after an omega was mated. Growing up outside pack lands he had no real experience or knowledge of heats. He was convinced he had caught a virus and the fever was simply a result of his body's efforts to fight off the illness.

The omega undoubtedly would have been comforted being with his alphas but the elder council was not willing to yield. They insisted on their right to educate the omega and would not let anything get in their way.

The third night into his heat Jungkook was buried in a pile of blankets. Too hot to tolerate the warmth around him but desperate for any reminder of his alphas. Any remaining scent or memory of them to comfort him in his distress. He pleaded with the moon goddess to help him heal, oblivious to the fact that his heat would likely last at least a week, possibly more without his alphas to surround him.

Jungkook counted each minute huddled under the covers, willing each one to get him closer to feeling recovered. His mind felt like it was burning along with his body, barely able to take in the world around him.