Chapter 35

The alphas didn't want to worry their omega but if they were honest things really weren't going very well. They were struggling in their role as supreme pack and were increasingly being drawn into meetings with the elder council and others to listen to long lectures detailing how they were failing.

No amount of explaining that they would be better off with their omega seemed to get the council's attention. Frustratingly the alpha's powers had all but disappeared except Jin's, a factor of his regular visits with their omega. Taehyung's foresight, Jimin's ability to compel, Yoongi's discernment of truth, and Namjoon's strengthened intellect all would be invaluable in their roles keeping peace between wolves and humans. Inexplicably the elder council seemed unconvinced by their arguments and simply would not relent and let Jungkook go home with them.

The days turned to weeks and the pack was beginning to snap at each other internally as frustration mounted. News reports increasingly highlighted dust ups between humans and wolves and popular opinion about the supreme pack seemed to be plummeting. They were always arriving too late and never quite seemed to be able to resolve issues.

Some members of the elder council had been going so far as to say that perhaps it was time to rethink the role of the supreme pack, negotiating a new deal with humans.

Any love and respect for the supreme pack among wolves was quickly fading and they really needed to act quickly to salvage what they could. In an effort to regain at least a bit of their powers Jin had become increasingly aggressive about bringing their omega back to their den even though it came with the obvious risks of being caught. Any time spent with the pup helped, even if they remained largely stunted in their ability to do their job.

Finally the day they were all fearing came. Jin was caught by a guard of the council. Jungkook had spent the last few hours in the supreme pack den and when Jin returned him to his room they found a guard waiting for them.

Jin begged and pleaded for the guard to let it go, promising anything in return but the guard was unmoved. He seemed almost gleeful at discovering their trickery and Jin deflated knowing even his visits were likely to come to a rapid end.

Jungkook seemed too shocked to even speak, clutching to Jin like a life raft keeping him afloat in an increasingly turbulent sea. He wasn't really sure how he'd survive without his alpha's regular visits, care, and affection. He could only hope the elder council wouldn't be too harsh in their punishment since Jin hadn't been explicitly forbidden from visiting him under these circumstances.

That hope was quickly dashed. Jungkook's efforts to beg the elders for leniency seemed to backfire, they viewed the omega's request as disrespectful to the alpha elders and a sure sign he needed to be "protected" from the bad influence of his pack. His alphas' efforts to plead for mercy were similarly ignored.

Instead the elders informed the pack that an alpha guard would be with the omega at all times going forward, including staying inside the room while the pup was sleeping.

This was devastating news. Omegas simply needed to be with their own alphas, particularly so soon after mating. They were naturally uncomfortable around other alphas in the best of conditions. This would be anything but the best of conditions.

It was only a few hours into the first night when Jungkook discovered he could not possibly sleep with a strange alpha in his room. It grated on his wolf, causing him to constantly squirm in discomfort. Relaxing was an impossibility.

Within a few days the omega was more zombie than wolf. He seemed to lose all will to fight as deep bags formed beneath his eyes. He only picked at his food, largely shuffling it around the plate without eating more than a few bites. If the elder council was trying to break his spirit it truly wouldn't be long until they succeeded.