8. STRANGERS

SAPPHIRE

Warm green eyes stared into mine, brewing with confusion. By his reaction, he seemed like the owner of the house who was justifiably puzzled by the intruder.

"Hi." I whispered in a really low voice. He was really tall, guess everyone was tall in this town. He had green eyes and few of his brown locks were falling on his forehead. As I looked down, I saw that shirt fitted him nicely, hinting about the muscular body hiding underneath the layer of clothing.

"Do I know you?" he asked, scratching his jaw.

"Um... Actually, I am staying with Bella." I said and he formed an 'o' with his mouth, as if recognising the name of his neighbour. "There was a dog after me and I couldn't find my keys."

"Oh," he said in his deep voice. "Would you like to wait inside?" he offered. My mind travelled to that animal and I nodded immediately, following him as he led me to his lounge.

The house had a cozy inside, with minimal decoration and walls painted in nude. I watched as the man in front of me went out of the lounge, leaving me alone. I spent the time staring around me, noticing the minimal furniture. The house didn't feel like a child or a female lived there.

Few moments had passed when the same man returned with two cups. "I hope you like tea," he said with a straight face and passed me one cup.

"Thanks." I muttered and looked at the liquid inside the cup. The steam coming from it reached my nostrils and the peppermint aroma freshened my anxious mind.

"I am Sapphire Carson." I said, taking a sip the warm tea.

"Connor Hunt." he replied causally. He had a gentle yet serious expression on his face.

"Connor." His name rolled off my tongue. I tried to divert my mind from the experience I just had. If I thought about that wolf anymore, I would probably go in a panic phase in front of a stranger.

"What do you do for a living?" I asked as a small talk while trying to calm my rising heartbeat.

"I own a book-shop." he answered, his eyes lowered to his lap. He didn't look like someone who talked much, guessing by his brief answers. And his eyes; there was something about those green eyes that felt sad, and lonely.

"That's great. I am an editor for a publishing house." I told him about me and he nodded.

Averting my gaze from him, I stared at the photo frame on the small table beside his couch. There was a woman in the picture, with short hair died in blue color. She had a round face and almond shaped eyes, her features indicating that she was probably an Asian.

"Is this your girlfriend?" I asked, scooting closer to have a clearer look of the photo.

"It is my wife," he said and I suddenly felt a flicker of sadness inside me. "Was my wife," he cleared and the flicker somehow vanished.

"Oh. So you're divorced." I added, sipping the last of the liquid in my cup.

"She died few years ago." he told me and I observed the way his jaw twitched at the mentioned. A hint of moisture appeared in his eyes as he stared at the blank wall, probably remembering his wife.

"Oh, I'm really sorry." I whispered.

"It's fine." he responded. I was about to say something more when I heard the horn of Bella's car outside.

"Seems like I should go." I said, standing up to leave. He stood up with me and walked behind me upto the door. "It was nice meeting you, Connor."

"Likewise, Sapphire." he smiled but the smile felt forced, unlike the genuine sadness inside her eyes.