8: Acronyms Left and Right

Nao can't say he necessarily hates the sea; he doesn't feel one way or the other about being above water as he is now. He's an alright swimmer without a reason to be swimming in the first place. He's more comforted since he can create ice and save Caboose, probably himself, and maybe Local (only because Nao knows Caboose would never forgive him if he let the elf die) should anything happen that would require it. He's annoyed by the ocean because of the storms, the stench of fish, the nausea, the slips and falls, and in this case, not being able to bunk with Caboose, especially now because Caboose spends most, if not all, of her time in her room with General Ana.

The most Nao had gotten to see Caboose in the past six days was three days ago when he caught her in Local's arms and decided to take her back to her room himself. It was strange, and even to himself, he was unable to explain how he knew, but Nao had woken up suddenly in a cold sweat. Something in his gut told him to check up on Caboose, but when he went to annoy Ana about it, she wasn't even in the room, and neither was the Princess. Nao knew that, logically, she had to be on the boat still and didn't just magically disappear with Ana. He isn't one for irrational thinking whenever he is presented with an unfamiliar situation, but that was when it was just Nao taking care of himself; now there is CBC (Caboose's Behavior Chart) he has to worry about.

Ah yes, the CBC. Nao doesn't want to think much about it right now, but basically, it's his notes about Caboose and how the girl functions. He would make notes about Local, but that would mean he has to care about him first. The only reason why he would ever consider it is because he is Caboose's best friend and influences her a good amount whenever they're together. The CBC is a system Nao has studied and developed over the past three years. So far, it works as a solid system and helps him maintain his friendship with the Princess.

Nao has to consider what would affect the UCP (Usual Caboose Pattern), and if this would trigger the CEO (Caboose's Emotional Outburst) in any way. If Local also happens to be present, Nao has to include the LCPF (Local Chaos Presence Factor) as this would greatly modify the UCP and turn it into the L-UCP (Caboose Usual Pattern featuring Local). This is usually how Nao goes about all his problems whenever Caboose (and the L (Local)) is involved.

Nao has had three years to memorize all this. It's not easy being friends with the Princess, but if anyone can do it... it's probably not Nao but he can sure try his best!

What were we talking about?

Right, the CBC.

So Nao has a system on how to deal with certain crises. He doesn't, however, have a way to deal with this unfamiliar tightness in his chest that's been following him since they started this journey to the West. He doesn't understand this at all, Nao has spent his whole life alone even as a damn child. By the time he was old enough for his parents to start wanting to get to know him, they ended up dying like a bunch of losers. Which, yes, Nao knows that it's in bad taste to badmouth your dead parents, but you should probably save that judgment for someone who cares.

The man also never cared for getting himself an animal companion, since before he met Caboose, he was always traveling and never felt the desire to settle down. Nao has heard of people who would travel with a dog or a cat, and he has no feelings on the matter. However, his way of travel used to be outside the kingdom walls where the monsters roam, so of course it would be reasonable if that's not something he wanted to do with a poor animal.

Yes, for his whole life, Nao has been alone, and he enjoys the solitude as well. And if he wasn't as emotionally expressive as a soggy cabbage, he could try understanding the weird, uncomfortable feelings in his chest. He does better in the throws of combat and strategising the best routes to victory; he thrives in the conflict that has to do with physical violence or out-witting his opponents. Not whatever the fuck this was going on here. You know who was always better with emotions and understanding what they could mean and where they probably came from?