10: I Think We Could've Predicted This

"That is the stupidest plan I've ever heard."

Nao clicks his tongue, "I disagree, General. It's our best shot at defeating it with an advantage. Bringing it on deck will be in our favor than trying to attack it as it's still in the water."

"That thing is nearly the size of the deck. It can throw us over," The Captain counters.

"Well, it's a great thing we're all excellent swimmers, isn't it?"

Ana narrows her eyes, "...I have never seen you swim my whole time of knowing you."

"No need to worry about that. I'm sure today will be the day you get to see it happen."

Sagar crosses his arms, looking at the other man with a smug look. "You're actually pretty funny, huh?"

The Royal Advisor frowns, "Shut up. We're not having a moment."

Great, explaining his plan took longer than anticipated (about twenty seconds) and now they're wasting ever more time bickering. It's not entirely Ana's and Sagar's fault though, since Nao also likes enabling bullshit if he can. Now might not be the best time obviously, but is it so wrong that he wants a little fun in dire situations like these?

...

In all truth, yes, But he wouldn't be the cocky bitch he is now if he wasn't so confident that he had the situation under his control. Alright. Nao has less than twenty seconds now, and he can't afford to wait any longer. No one has magic on this ship besides himself and Caboose, but he can't count on her because it's not useful right now. There should most definitely be spell casters, though.

Casting spells isn't as uncommon as you'd think, especially because, well, there are only eleven people who were gifted with magic. However, that doesn't mean potions and spells can only be used by magic holders, it's just that spells and potions are the strongest when used by those with magic. While Beast-men, humans, dwarves, trolls, and goblins require more time to properly learn how to use potions and spells, it eventually comes to them naturally over time.

For example, Local uses a spell nearly every day while in the kitchen that allows his hair to stay in place so he isn't forced to wear a hairnet. At most, he has to wake up ten minutes earlier than he would normally have to just so he can write the incantation on the usual paper slips made for casting spells.

Right. In order to cast a spell, the incantation has to be written on paper specifically made for spells. Otherwise, the spell will either fail or have horrible outcomes for the one who is trying to cast it. The working theory is that perhaps the fairies, or even the Rabbit folk, use their magic on Balsa trees (only Balsa trees, for some reason) to allow the people to use them for spell casting. Though Nao has looked into this once before, he never spent too much time on the topic, so he isn't as knowledgeable about it as he'd like to be.

The black and pink-haired man didn't know who, other than Local, was a spell caster on this ship. As far as he knew, Ana wasn't adept at using spells because she'd rather beat the shit out of people with her pretty, armored fists. The ones who'd have this information were both Ana and Sagar.

Great. Now Nao has to play nice and hope they give him the information he needs in the next fifteen seconds.

"Captain, General," He speaks quickly, "Do you have any information on someone who can cast spells?"

"Well, it just so happens that I'm quite proficient in spells myself," Sagar gloats with a smug look.

"Like?"

"Fireball."

"...You wouldn't happen to have a spell that can get the serpent on board, do you?"

"Uhh..."