chapter one

It's the middle of May in Boston and summer is nearing as the warmth begins to settle. It's a Friday, and today is the last day of exams before the summer break at Boston University. Alex had just finished his final exam only an hour ago, which means he has finally finished the second year of his Bachelor of Music Education. Alex's brain feels numb and his body sinks into his college dorm mattress, a bit firm for his liking but it suffices.

He feels himself drifting and his eyes heavy but he almost expects it when June and her girlfriend Nora barge into his room unannounced, cheering and hollering.

        "We're done, exams are over baby!" June sings songs as she flops on top of the almost-asleep Alex like a ragdoll.

        Alex grunts, pushing June instinctively. "Get off of me, you idiot!"

June becomes a giggling mess as Alex pushes her so she rolls off and next to him on his bed. Nora watches them with a small smile.

Alex looks at the both of them for a moment, his brows furrowed as June eventually sits herself up next to him and Nora stays standing. "Where's your third wheel?"

"Oh, Pez is coming. He's just getting his place ready for his new roommate," Nora laughs. "Don't miss him just yet."

Alex rolls his eyes. "So, he's finally letting someone stay in his penthouse of a dorm room. I was considering just moving in with him squatter style. He wouldn't even notice."

"Having a famous actor as your Dad really helps," June shrugs. "Must be nice."

"What are you talking about? Having divorced parents who are trying to make ends meet is life in luxury," Alex jokes. June rolls her eyes, evidently unamused. "Anyway, who's his new roommate?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," Nora grins, wriggling her eyebrows.

"Yeah, well, that's sorta why I asked," Alex says, oblivious to the telepathic conversation being exchanged between June and Nora's eyes. They do this a lot. It's like some secret girlfriend superpower they picked up ever since they started dating 2 years ago. Alex thinks it's freakishly cute but, occasionally finds it annoying when he isn't clued in.

"Well, he has just moved from England and his and Pez's dads were best mates. They did a few movies together."

Alex groans dramatically. "Ugh! Not another snobby nepo baby!"

"Shut it, Alex! He's super cute and it'll be nice for you to make more friends," Nora says sweetly.

"I have friends," Alex says seriously. "Why are you pawning him off to me anyway?"

"Name a friend you have—"

"You, Jun-"

"Apart from us..."

Alex pauses. "Pez... And I are friends."

"When do you two ever hang without us?" June points out.

"I wasn't talking to you, June," Alex sighs. "Who's his Dad? He better be someone cool."

"Arthur Fox," Nora replies breezily.

"James fucking Bond?" Alex almost shouts. Then, it clicks. "Wait... Is his new roommate Henry Fox?"

Nora looks confused. "You know him?"

Alex pauses, opening and closing his mouth a few times. He definitely knows him, his obsession with James Bond led him to discover there is a younger, somehow more attractive version of him out there existing. As much as Alex would deny it if asked, Henry was a pivotal part of his bisexual awakening. "I mean... I've seen him in Vogue and GQ a few times."