epilogue

3 months later, new years eve.

The adrenaline courses through Alex's body, and he thrives on it. Alex steps off stage, just finishing his set for the new years carnival at BU campus. The crowd is vibrant, praising Alex who can barely hear a thing as he enters the crowd. It's almost the best feeling in the world.

His eyes search the sea of faces, looking for Henry who he promised to meet after. The past few months have been slow, but it's been perfect that way. Alex has taken every day at Henry's pace, always respecting his boundaries while still making a significant effort to initiate dates and hangouts.

They've studied together, been on countless miscellaneous dates, Henry has gone to every one of Alex's gigs and Alex has been reading everything Henry writes—that he shares, of course. Alex never thought he'd have a person like this. He never thought he'd deserve it. Sometimes he feels like Henry is some insanely realistic fragment of his imagination because, truly, how can someone like that be real?

He pushes through to the back of the crowd, his eyes scanning over all the faces, until he sees him. Henry stands, laughing mid conversation with Sabrina, the same girl he attempted to ballroom dance with at the party he picked him up from. The two have become quite close lately and Alex will never not find the height difference amusing and beside Henry, bless her little cotton socks, she looks half his height. Alex smiles to himself, before approaching them.

"Hey Henry," Alex grins and then playfully feigns surprise. "Oh, I almost didn't see you there, Sab."

"I hate you," Sabrina says, with zero bite and an affectionate eye roll.

"Hi," Henry says, his eyes soft accompanied by a fond smile. Alex feels like he's been set on fire with the way Henry looks at him, melting into the ground he stands on.

Sabrina chimes in, her enthusiasm palpable. "You two coming to mine for the countdown to midnight?"

Alex raises an eyebrow, intrigued. "You hosting?"

Sabrina nods with a mischievous grin. "Duh. Nora, Pez, and June are already there setting up for me. I think Pez brought fireworks."

Henry lets out a chuckle, half-joking. "I don't think you'll have a house next year if you let him do that."

Sabrina, Henry, and Alex make their way to Sabrina's house, welcomed by the warm atmosphere of a New Year's Eve gathering in the making. As they step inside, they're greeted by the sight of their friends already busy preparing for the night ahead. June and Nora are meticulously setting up the TV to ensure a seamless countdown experience in a few hours, while Pez (the social butterfly he is) is deeply engrossed in conversations with one of Sabrina's friends, trying to figure out the perfect playlist.

Amid the cheerful chaos, Alex can't help but smile as he looks around the room. It's a perfect representation of the happiness he's found in these past few months, his heart feels like it's swelling.

Hours disappear after lots of drinks, dancing and conversations. The house starts to fill as midnight grows closer, the promise of the new year fills the air with anticipation. Henry and Alex dance in the living room and it's as if they're alone, despite the crowd of bodies surrounding them. Wrapped in a cocoon of solace.

"Do you want to get some fresh air?" Henry whispers, his mouth by Alex's ear. It sends a shiver up Alex's spine, his skin tingling everywhere. Alex nods wordlessly, knowing speaking would fail him now.

Henry walks out the open door, only a few people scattered in the backyard. The muffled sound of conversation and music spills into the backyard, slightly dimming as they walk outside further.