chapter four

Alex had been lying in his bed for almost an hour just wallowing in self-pity and immensely regretting the previous night's alcohol consumption. His head was throbbing and the room felt as if it was spinning around him. It's not until Nora and June come barging in at 10 am, which is far too early for a hungover Alex, that he finally wakes up to the reality of the next day. June and Nora somehow manage to convince and drag Alex to a cafe, violently hungover and loudly miserable about it.

"I think I'm dying," Alex is saying, his hands cupping a warm mug of coffee. June laughs at him.

"What time did you get home last night?" June asks, with a knowing smile. Alex shoves his face into his hands. It hurts to think.

"Maybe 1 am?" he says, muffled by his fingers

"I was expecting worse," Nora says levelly. Alex just groans into his hands. "I mean, you used to be out til 5 and still go to class at 8."

"That Alex has retired," Alex says as he finally lifts his face from his hands.

June leans over the table and wriggles her eyebrows. "So..."

Alex stares blankly at her.

"How was it hanging with Henry after we left?"

Alex reflects on the night before, Henry's vulnerability, the sound of his laugh and the way he looked in his jacket. "It was..." He subconsciously begins to smile. "Fine."

"You're smiling," Nora says suddenly, sounding delighted. She leans forward with June. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened," Alex says, looking between the two of them staring at him expectantly. "He's just not as bad as I thought."

"Something clearly happened," Nora teased.

"We just walked back to campus together and talked... It was nice..." Alex admits, failing to conceal his growing smile.

"What did you talk about?" June asks with a smug smile.

"Stop interrogating me," Alex says flatly.

"Come onnnnn," June pleads.

"Nope."

"Ugh, you're boring," June rolls her eyes fondly. "By the way, I need to ask you a favour."

"I guess I'm just giving out favours now," Alex mumbles.

"Can I borrow the leather jacket you wore last night?"

Alex blinks, knowing he does not have the jacket and he really doesn't want to explain why.

Alex coughs. "Uh, Why?"

"Because I want to wear it tonight," June says slowly.

"Well..." Alex tries to think of an excuse and ultimately fails. "I don't have it... Right now."

"Did you lose it last night?"

"No, I gave it to... Henry."

Nora blinks quickly and yelps out a laugh. "You what?"

"Oh my god," June whispers loudly, followed by a laugh. She prods her finger into Alex's chest. "You liiiiike him."

Alex laughs softly, a little embarrassed and a little flustered. As much as he wanted to deny it he just knew he wasn't going to be able to hide this from them much longer. They always know. Alex finally meets June's eyes who looks overly happy.

"Oh Alex," she sighs happily.

"Shut up," Alex says, still smiling and his cheeks flushed.

"What are you gonna do? Are you gonna tell him?" June asks.