chapter two

Usually during the Summer break, Alex is doing one of two things; performing at small gigs, or third wheeling with June and Nora. This time, he is doing both. There's a bar that's within walking distance from their campus which has open mics and Alex couldn't resist after the feeling he got from the campfire performance, and of course Nora and June wanted to come along.

Alex arrives at the bar and it's fairly quiet, which isn't surprising as it's only 5 pm, but the bar staff were more than happy for Alex to play a few covers. He starts off with 'Tiny Dancer', as Nora and June woo and holler in the background.

"Ballerina. You must've seen her. Dancing in the sand. And now she's in me. Always with me. Tiny dancer in my hand."

As he finishes his set of prepared songs, the bar claps and cheers for him, he even gets a few tips from people who have been drinking in the bar since midday. After he packs up his guitar and hangs the case on his shoulder, he finds Nora and June sitting in a booth, smiling proudly at him.

"Can you play Taylor Swift next time?" June asks jokingly. "You never play anything from this decade."

"If you're lucky," Alex grins.

"So, Pez invited us to come over," Nora begins. Alex opens his mouth to rebuttal but Nora is quick to prevent him from complaining with "No, Henry isn't there at the moment. You don't need to get your panties in a twist."

"I hate how well you know me," Alex sighs. June looks at the both of them, visibly confused.

"What's wrong with Henry?" June asks.

"Oh, nothing. It's just Alex being dramatic because-"

"Uh, no. That's not true," Alex interrupts. He turns to look at June and loudly whispers "He sighed at everything I said and spilled his drink down my shirt."

"Which was obviously an accident," Nora retorts. June just smiles in amusement.

"That's it, I'm not going."

Alex, Nora and June end up at Pez's dorm room less than an hour later, not much convincing was needed other than the promise that Pez was shouting them dinner. Upon arrival, he knew he walked into a trap.

"Alex, I need a favour," is the first thing Pez says when he opens the door for them.

"You lured me with food?" Alex asks, feigning offence.

"I've ordered pizza," Pez says dryly.

"Alright," Alex sighs as he walks past him and makes himself comfortable on Pez's couch. June and Nora follow in shortly after and sit beside him. Pez closes the door behind them and slowly walks towards them with hesitancy.

"I didn't want to have to do this," Pez begins. Alex gets a sense that this conversation isn't headed in a direction he likes. "I need your help."

"My help?" Alex repeats in a terrible British accent, a smug grin engulfing his face. "Pray tell."

Pez rolls his eyes. "Please, don't make this harder than it has to be."

"What on earth would you ever need Alex's help with?" June asks. Alex glares at her. "No offence."

Pez takes a deep breath. "So, Henry–"

"No, no, no, no. No, absolutely not," Alex quickly interrupts. "Whatever you want me to do, I would literally rather step on a million Legos."

"You are so dramatic," Nora laughs. "Hear him out."

"No? Do you not remember when I told you he spilt his drink on me and sighed every time I spoke?" Alex argues.

"Honestly, I will kill you if you tell me one more time," Nora deadpans.

"How many times has it been?" June asks.