Chapter 1 - Just Might Be Paranoid

"Okay, serious question, what are you wearing to Senior Night?" Rose asks suddenly, interrupting everyone's conversations.

Our whole summer seems to have passed in the blink of an eye, and just like that, it's the last week before school starts.

Normally, none of us would be too excited about that, but this year is different for one simple reason.

We're seniors.

It feels like just yesterday, Zack, Jay, and I were freshmen, trying to figure out who the heck let the three of us into high school, and now suddenly, we're in our last year together at Northwest Academy.

The whole thing is a little bittersweet, but my friends are convinced there's one thing that's going to make it all worth it.

Senior Night.

Basically, every year someone throws this huge, summer-ending party to initiate the incoming graduating class.

Of course, we've never actually been, but rumor has it, it's always the best party of the year. Especially now, with the kids from St. John's Secondary School transferring in, this year's party is set to be bigger and better than ever.

To say my friends are excited would be an understatement. Unfortunately, I can't say the same.

I lean forward and rest my elbows on the tabletop of the diner booth we've all squeezed ourselves into. Taking a deep breath, I brace myself before finally saying the words I've been dreading saying all summer.

"Oh that?" I begin, resting my head on my hand and averting my eyes. "I uh, I don't think I'm going to go."

Immediately, there's an outcry from every single one of them so loud you'd think I just admitted to first-degree murder.

"What??" Jay exclaims.

"Are you kidding me?" Dejay says.

"You can't be serious!" Rose shouts.

Zack's voice comes through over everyone else's. "Mia, come on, we've been fantasizing about this party since we were six," he says. "You can't back out now."

"Mia, it's Senior Night," Rose interjects. "You literally have to be there, it's like the law. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they'll make you repeat junior year if you don't show up."

I glance around to see that we're attracting angry stares from pretty much every other customer in the restaurant before turning back to face them.

"Okay, that's definitely not true," I reply in a hushed tone. "Besides, what's the big deal, guys? It's just another party."

"Mia, come on. Everyone's invited, it'll be fun," Alex, Rose's boyfriend says. "And just think, this is our chance to scope out all the St. John's kids before we're all thrown into the thunder-dome together at school," he adds as Rose nods vehemently at his side.

"Trust me, I get that," I reply. "I guess I just don't really feel like going to a big party right before school starts."

"But why not?" Rose whines. "This isn't just any party, Mia. This is the party. It's a tradition, it's - it's what makes us seniors."

"I don't know," I say with a shrug. "I mean, all those people? Plus, I think I might've already promised my mom I'd help her organize her closet that night so.."

"Oh come on, Mia," Rose starts again. "You can't be -"

Thankfully at that exact moment, my wonderful boyfriend, who's well aware that I'm one of the worst liars on the planet, finally decides to come to my rescue.