Chapter 13 - Pretty Girl with the Pretty Name

"Another head aches,
Another heart breaks.
I'm so much older
Than I can take."
- The Killers

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mia's POV

My legs feel like weights as I run, but I keep forcing one foot in front of the other, pumping my arms to keep my stride open. My chest burns with the effort, urging me to stop, but I can't.

Not now - not with so much at stake.

"Come on, is that all you got?" my older sister, Alina, calls from in front of me.

Rolling my eyes, I let out a heavy breath and push harder, matching my stride with hers until we're neck and neck.

When I decided to go for a run after school today, Alina, who's visiting from college, asked if she could go with me.

Naturally, I figured we'd be taking it slow. After all, I haven't run since track season ended, and Ali hasn't competed in sports for over two years now.

Apparently, the joke was on me, because the second we got to the trail, she took off and pretty much hasn't slowed down since. Two years out of high school, and she's running like she's in the best shape of her life.

Me, on the other hand?

My stamina has definitely seen better days.

Still, I push myself to keep up with her. With basketball season just around the corner, I guess a little extra conditioning couldn't hurt.

In the long-run, that is. Right now, it hurts a lot.

"Are you kidding? I was just trying to take it easy on you," I reply between breaths. "Didn't want to push you too hard."

She lets out a short laugh. "Yeah, right."

She speeds up, and I follow suit. Before I know it, the two of us are in an all out sprint to the end of the trail.

The finish line is in sight, and I'm giving it all I've got. I've never actually beaten Ali in a race before, and it's my dream to do it just once and rub it in her face forever.

Finally, we cross the line, Alina finishing just a hair in front of me.

After giving everything I had to that final stretch, I'm absolutely spent. Doubling over, I rest my hands on my knees as I try to catch my breath.

Thankfully, I look up to see that Ali's in the same position. Between breaths, she manages to look up at me with a devilish grin. "Still got it," she says.

I can't help but laugh. "Whatever you say," I reply, "but you and I both know with one more meter, I would've had you."

"Yeah, well, I guess we'll never know," Alina replies. She stands upright beside me, hands intertwined over her head as she steadies her breathing. Then, out of nowhere, "So, have you applied to any colleges yet?"

The question hits me like a bucket of ice water, and I whip my head up to give her the most annoyed look I can manage at moment. "You seriously want to talk about that now?"

"When else?"

"I don't know," I manage to say in between breaths. "Maybe when I'm not fighting for my life."

She rolls her eyes. "Look, I know it seems early, but I promise, it comes at you sooner than you think. I mean, I wish I'd given myself more time to plan that stuff out."

I stand upright, hands resting on my hips. "I know, but senior year just started. I've barely even had time to think about what I'm going to eat for lunch tomorrow, let alone college."