Chapter 10 - I've Seen Enough Episodes of Supernatural to Know

Mia's POV

"Would you calm down? I said it was an accident."

"Whatever."

"Come on," Jesse says, throwing his hands in the air. "How was I supposed to know Coach Smith was going to get so pissed off?"

I toss the rag I've been using to clean onto the bathroom counter and turn to glare at him. "You sat down at his desk, kicked your feet up, and told him to get you a drink from the vending machine. What did you think was going to happen?"

"I thought he'd get me the soda," Jesse replies. "Everyone's always saying teachers are underpaid, right? I figured he could use the cash."

I scoff. "Right. Because the five bucks you handed him was really going to fill the gaps in his salary. You're a real philanthropist."

He places a hand over his heart and smiles. "Thank you, Sweetheart. That means a lot coming from you."

Frustration rises in my chest, and it takes everything in me to resist the urge to start shouting at him. Letting out a heavy sigh, I just shake my head. "Okay, you know what? Let's just not talk anymore," I say.

With that, I turn my attention back to the row of filthy bathroom mirrors that we're now responsible for cleaning and try to focus on the fact that I've only got about ten minutes left of this torture before I can finally get out of here.

When the morning first started, I was beyond motivated to spend as little time around Jesse as possible, and cleaning all the windows only ended up taking us a little over an hour.

Once we'd finished up, the two of us headed back to the administration office to let Coach know we were done. This, of course, is when Jesse decided to poke the bear.

I don't think I've ever seen Coach Smith so mad, and believe me, that's saying something. I swear he nearly exploded when Jesse held out that five dollar bill to him like he was some kind of waiter.

The way he went off on him afterwards almost would've been funny, if I hadn't gotten caught in the crossfire.

After he was finished with his tirade, he declared that the two of us clearly hadn't learned our lesson yet, and that maybe cleaning the bathroom mirrors would help whip us into shape.

Long story short, this morning has been like my own personal hell.

Between having to spend the morning with Jesse and this insane cleaning regiment, I've been all but counting the seconds until I can get out of here and finally have some much-needed alone time with the boy I love.

And believe me when I say, ten o'clock can't come soon enough.

"So tell me, Sweetheart," Jesse starts, breaking the silence between us, "how does a girl like you end up with a guy like Scott?"

I let out a heavy sigh. This is probably his twelfth attempt to pry into my personal life, and each time has been more annoying than the last.

"None of your business," I reply again, as I wipe away what I hope are water stains. "And for the last time, stop calling me that."

"Aw, come on," Jesse replies, wiping down the mirrors on his own side of the room. "We've been suffering together all morning. We're practically like old war buddies now, bonded through blood, sweat, and tears. Doesn't that earn me a little bit of trust?"