Chapter 9 - Consequences Be Damned

Hunter's POV

As I pull back into my driveway, I can't help but think about Mia and wonder how she's doing.

Leaving her at the school like that, knowing it's pretty much exactly what Palmer wanted, went against practically every bone in my body. If I'm being honest, even now, part of me is tempted to head back there and knock that smug smile right off his face - consequences be damned.

Before I can get too worked up about it though, I force myself to remember that Mia's not some helpless damsel. She's a smart girl - tough, resourceful, and completely capable of taking care of herself.

I'm sure she'll be fine.

Besides, even if I did head back there, she probably wouldn't let me kill him anyway.

Her and her morals.

After parking my car, I cut the engine and step out onto the paved driveway. Now that the sun's higher in the sky, the cool morning air is gone, replaced with the type of warm breeze that only the last month of summer can give you.

It's the kind of day that's perfect for relaxing on the beach with someone you love, and it motivates me even more to get this thing with my dad over with so I can go ahead and spend the day with her.

I make my way back into the house, shutting the front door behind me with a click that resounds throughout the empty hall. As usual, this place feels too big and too quiet. I guess I shouldn't complain though, especially considering the alternative is typically a shouting match.

Thankfully, my mom left for a women's retreat yesterday afternoon, so I don't have to worry about her and my dad going their usual five rounds before brunch. After all, they have to get it out of their system before making their weekly appearance at the country club to show everyone how happily married they are.

I used to go with them sometimes. Not because I really wanted to - I mean, the food at that place is shit and the dress code is even worse. I went because even if they were just pretending, even if it was just for the benefit of others, it was nice sometimes just to see them together, smiling.. happy.

Ever since I started dating Mia though, I haven't gone with them. I haven't wanted to. Now that I know what real love is supposed to look like, watching them fake it just makes me sick.

Still, if they're in town, they both make a point to be there, in one way or another. They go every Saturday, like clockwork, and it's that fact that has me worried more than anything.

I mean, what could my dad possibly need to talk to me about that couldn't wait until after his morning tee time?

To say I was surprised when he stopped me before I left this morning to say he "needed to talk" is an understatement to say the least. I mean sure, things are better between us now than they've been in the past, but that's mostly been due to a mutually agreed upon indifference.

After everything that happened this past spring, I made it clear to my parents that my relationship with Mia wasn't up for discussion. As far as I could tell, my dad didn't like it, but so far, he's at least been trying to respect it. Now, he doesn't ask what I'm up to, and for the most part, I don't tell.

Today has me worried though.

As I make my way through the halls, I decide that it's probably best to get this conversation over with as quickly as possible.