Chapter 7 - The Kids Aren't Alright

Mia's POV

By the time we're walking out of school at the end of the day, I'm feeling like I just survived a cage match.

The first day of class is supposed to be easy, you know? You go to your classes, meet your teachers, maybe make awkward smalltalk with the girl who sat next to you in math class.

Simple.

But of course, I somehow manage to turn the most predictable day of the year into a roller coaster with more ups and downs than Six Flags.

I mean, not only did I make a new enemy, but Hunter's old one pretty much just told us he's going to be focusing all his energy on ruining our lives.

What a productive day.

As we make our way down the front steps, I take a look around at the bustling parking lot below. There are people everywhere - walking to their cars, mingling with friends, and last but not least, staring at us.

On the bright side, only about a third of them are whispering and pointing, so I'm going to go ahead and assume not everyone has heard about my little bathroom scuffle with Nicki yet.

I guess that's one benefit to the student body nearly tripling in size this year. In the past, a little fight like that would've been all over school within the hour, but I guess with all the excitement today, barely anyone had time to notice.

Thank God, because I really can't handle anymore drama today. All I've wanted to do since lunch is go home, climb into bed, and crawl under the covers for about a week.

Ignoring the stares, we make our way across the lot. As we get closer to where we parked, I notice Hunter's friends waiting for us by his car, and I can't help but smile. Seeing them all interact with each other, even from a distance, it's easy to see their personalities coming through.

Trevor, always a little too hyperactive for his own good, is talking to Parker, waving his arms around wildly like he's telling a crazy story. Parker, who I can already tell is a bit of a cynic, just stares at him as he talks, eyebrow raised like he calls bullshit.

Thomas, of course, sits calmly, leaning against the hood of Hunter's car with a hand in his pocket - adjacent to the chaos, but not a part of it.

Something tells me he's like that a lot.

Still, he's the first to spot us, and just by the sympathetic look on his face, I can already tell he must've heard all about the fight.

He takes a step toward us as we approach and looks to me. "Hey," he says. "So.. tough day?"

I pull my backpack up a little higher on my shoulder and let out a sigh. "You have no idea."

Thomas grimaces and raises a hand to rub the back of his neck. "Well hey, if it makes you feel any better, I heard you scared Nicki so bad she's thinking about transferring schools."

I smile despite myself and let out a short laugh. "Seriously?" I ask, and he nods. "You know what? That actually does help a little."

He offers me a grin before turning to Hunter. "Hunt?" Thomas asks, eyebrow raised. "You good?"

Hunter doesn't respond, and I glance up to see that his eyes are fixed on something across the parking lot. Following his gaze, I spot Jesse a little ways off.