17

Even with help, by the time Akira had managed to climb out of that damned well, her arm was worse off than before, and a doctor was definitely in store for her as soon as all of this was over. But for now, they had other things to focus on, such as the people remaining back in the house. Although, she suspected there might be one issue in their way.

"Didn't we pass that tree when we came onto the property?" She questioned in a quiet voice as she walked along side Zoro, following the path which she was pretty sure from the beginning was actually leading in the opposite direction from the house they were hoping to get to. But when she first pointed it out, he was so convinced he was right he made her believe it.

"No, it's this way. I'm-" Zoro spoke, trying to claim he knew the way once more. But before he could finish, the sound of voices caught their attention, muttered and incomprehensible until one spoke louder.

"Helmeppo, don't"

Both the voice and the name it had called had Akira and Zoro sharing a knowing look. "Marines." They concluded in unison, thoughts of the path and direction back to the house abandoned as they instead turned to the source of the noise, drawing nearer and capable of distinguishing what was being said shortly before they could actually see the scene.

"Father always said, 'Dead pirate weighs the same as a live one.'" The spoiled marine's voice was firm as he tried to establish some control of the situation while Zoro and Akira snuck through the tree branches and drew closer.

"Garp gave us strict orders." Now closer to the light illuminating their faces, Akira easily recognized Luffy's friend from the docks. The one who'd chosen to stay behind so he could become a Marine.

"He gave you strict orders!" Helmeppo continued to disobey, his gun pointed forward at someone, and his next words made Akira finally realize just how well timed their arrival had been. "Start walking, pirate, or die."

"Wait here." Zoro whispered out the simple instruction, giving Akira no chance to say anything in response as he jumped out into the light of the path, making Marines groan and yelp as he quickly and easily brought two of them down to the ground.

"Hey, haircut." Watching Zoro sheathe his sword once more as he greeted the Marine, Akira took it as her sign to come out into the light herself, everyone's eyes now focused on the two of them in surprise.

"Zoro! Akira!" Luffy exclaimed, happy to see them from where he was kneeling down on the ground. And with the gun now off of him, especially after Zoro swiftly punched Helmeppo in the face and knocked him down to the ground, Luffy was once again free to rise to his feet, running over and joining the duo with a smile. "How'd you know where to find me?"

"I didn't."
"He didn't."

Akira and Zoro said in unison, the former sending the swordsman a pointed look, silently sending a very clear message: I told you so, as he explained he'd thought he was headed back to the house. However, perhaps it was for the best that they did go in the wrong direction, after all.

Understanding that those in the house were still in trouble, Luffy was quick to turn on his heel as he began heading in the right direction now. However, he didn't get far. "Hold it right there!" Koby's voice behind them had the trio turning back for a moment to look at him. "By order of the Marines, I'm placing you under arrest."

Uncertain of what to do considering Koby was Luffy's friend, Akira's eyes turned to the captain who'd stopped a few paces ahead of them, eyes watching as he walked back to address the boy. "Koby, I know you've got a job to do..." Luffy said in an understanding tone, although it was accompanied by a very clear 'but' which would follow it. Even if it hadn't been said yet. "But I'm gonna go back and help my friends. So, don't try to stop me."