Chapter 33

Being on a flight with his father was awkward. The air between them had cleared slightly, but there was still a lot to work on, and Louis didn't know how their father-son dynamic was supposed to work, so on the plane, when his father tried to initiate conversation, Louis panicked and said he was planning to read in his book.

But he didn't read one bit. His stomach was fluttering with excited butterflies at the thought of seeing his Harry once again. He couldn't wait till he was wrapped in his arms. And he couldn't wait for the moment they were behind closed doors, and he could have Harry all to himself. His father had already said he had booked a hotel room in the village, using the words, "I don't wanna disturb the reuniting of you two." Louis was thankful but had also felt very uncomfortable when his father had winked.

The hours during the flight, Louis tried to sleep the most he could. Doing as Harry had said; sleep the hours away. He tried to read, but his concentration was not there. His father spoke to him, and he tried to get used to replying in a kind and not hostile way.

Finally, the flight began its course to the ground, and Louis excitedly looked outside as the clouds drifted by. Finally, Texas showed underneath them, and Louis' heart might have bursted out of his chest.

He barely noticed as the plane landed, or when they took their luggage, it was first when he was out in the lobby, his stroller behind him. It was like his mind cleared, and he didn't even wait for his father to follow before he set course for the exit. He knew Harry would be waiting outside.

He was.

It was like Louis was relieving the first time he had ever seen Harry. It was still summer, the weather was warm. Once again Louis regretted wearing so many clothes on the plane. He looked around, and then... there he was. Parked in the exact same spot, resting against his truck. He was wearing his cowboy hat, jeans, boots, and a white T-shirt. On his face was the biggest grin Louis had ever seen in his life.

Louis let go of his suitcase, and he began to run. Harry managed to just move away from his truck, just as Louis barreled into him with a bone-crushing hug. He buried his face in Harry's neck, inhaling his scent. And then—

"Baby."

It was said as if it was the first breath of fresh air after long days burried inside.

Louis almost wanted to cry at hearing his love's voice right next to his ears. It hadn't even been that long, but to Louis, it had felt like an eternity.

"Haz," mumbled Louis, hugging Harry closer. "God, you're here."

"I'm here," chuckled Harry. "I'll always be here."

Louis pulled away, cupping Harry's face in his hands. He stood up on tiptoes, pressing their lips together. Harry kissed him back like he was starving, his hands on the small of Louis' back.

It was first when a very awkward clearing of a throat was heard they pulled away. Right. Louis had brought his father.

He disentangled himself from Harry, moving to stand beside him. His father was standing a few feet away, smiling awkwardly.

"Harry, this is my dad," Louis said, gesturing to his father.

"Oh, right!" Harry said. His cheeks were rosy, his lips wet. "Great to meet you in person, Mr Tomlinson." He walked forward, holding his hand out for a handshake.

Mark shook his hand, smiling tightly. "Just call me Mark."

"Alright, then." Harry retreated his hand, and it was then Louis noticed the ring was there. He couldn't help but smile, and it only broadened when he noticed Harry also wore blue nail polish. "Wanna get the luggage into the truck? I know quite a few who are excited to have Louis home."