28) Truth

"I knew it would rain today

"I knew it would rain today."

She exclaimed. Goading him for her untimely, unchecked, and baseless weather forecast that somehow has come to life. She watched the rain droplets pouring down the window sill like a scientist watching his invention fly heights of recognition on the world platform. Her grin was getting wider with each droplet crawling down the glass, along her eyes twinkled watching them like a proud mother.

"Do you see those clouds? They look pulchritudinous amidst the rain." She gushed watching the sky, wiping the glass clean of the dew.

She talked as if she had lived a thousand lives, her lips formed tales of a million days she had spent watching around her yet finding something new every second she lingered her eyes at a place. She will see things from such a different perspective that he often questions everything he knows. She would describe things using alien words that he would look up, like pulchritudinous.

It meant beautiful, not that Uttara Rai Chauhan would be satisfied using a millennial word to describe her love for these huge cotton balls floating in the dull blue sea.

If only he was brave enough to speak his thoughts out loud against her lovely clouds. If someday he told her what she didn't wish to hear, he would witness her heartbreak in half and he would never be able to witness her broken pieces that he may never be able to hold up and piece back again.

Not when he was never able to piece back himself. He was inclined towards her to help him do it.

She was the brave one in them. Not him. Yet she was the child carrying the curiosity, grins, wonder, and excitement around. She gives a new meaning to the phrase 'Curiosity killed the cat', being her irrational yet charming self who could hypnotize death with her bright smiles and grins.

The same one through which she won him over, and still pulls him towards her feeling things he had never felt, things he would never feel if not for her.

Like a magnet attracting another, he walked towards her as she stood with her nose pressed against the glass, watching the thunderstorm and lightning, illuminating her in a white light that caused a spark in his heart. Laughing, she pointed out many things, gushing about things he couldn't concentrate on. Not when she stood near him.

She acted like a little girl sometimes, and it was one of his favorite things about her. Each time she saw lightning, her eyes widened and she smiled, she would glance at him and pass her joy to him.

He stepped closer and wrapped his arms around her from behind, she leaned back and held his hands, locking them around her as if confirming his destination, Ending his search on her.

At this moment, he felt as if he was where he always meant to be.

"I love you." She whispered, swooning at his gesture.

He steeled hearing them, calming his insides in seconds, and pressing his nose against her nape to pepper soft kisses on her collarbone and clutching her to him. He could feel her take a sigh, their reflection sparked with the hope that bloomed in her eyes at those words, diminishing at his lack of reply.